Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Today's news...

I spent the day at the hospital with Olive today. Today she was pretty drowsy and not acting much like herself. This evening her oxygen saturation was on the low side of being o.k. so the residents decided to do another lumbar puncture. I was feeling anxious about having another resident do the procedure since the last two times they didn't do the best job because Olive was squirming, and only removed 6 ml of CSF fluid.

I'm trying to find the balance of protecting Olive from being a resident's case to practice on, and being a patient's mother who isn't super annoying. I realize I am at a teaching hospital, but I am not a fan of Olive being someone's case to practice on...(insert nervous sigh here).

They removed 15 cc of fluid this time and everything went well. After the procedure she seemed more like herself and spent a good 20 minutes alert and flinging her little limbs around. I held her for another hour before walking back to the apartment.

Tomorrow the neurosurgeons are planning on placing another temporary ventricular drain to remove more fluid.

The head neonatologist said it would be o.k. for me to begin trying to breast-feed Olive tomorrow, so I'm hoping things go o.k.

Rusty was able to be home for the rice harvesting at the AYDC in Chiang Rai today. All the parents of the kids came to participate so he was able to connect with a lot of them and share in eating some dog for lunch. : >)

The weather in the north is much colder than here in Bangkok. He is sleeping in a sleeping bag and comforter in Chiang Rai, and I am sweating down here in Bangkok as I listen to Christmas music.

Still no word on another flight being available to go back to the States anytime soon.

love,

Lynette

P.S. We have five breast pumps donated for the NICU in Chiang Rai, so we are set!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Thinking about you guys (and of course praying for Olive)... I'm so sorry you missed out on the dog. Nothing like delectable food over the holidays. Love you, Lynette!!

Shauna Senti said...

Our prayers are with you as you continue down this journey...we can't wait for the day to meet your precious little one! Lord, we ask that you bless Lynette and Olive today in ways that Lynette sees and and they both feel your presence. Give Olive our sweet kisses of prayer.
Blessings to you, Lynette!

Carolyn Miller said...

Praying that the breastfeeding will go well

Anonymous said...

Sure wish you could come to Grand Rapids DeVos Children's Hospital NICU. I continue to pray for and think of all of you!

Marti B.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Madison Square Church member