Friday, December 25, 2009

Reflections on Christmas from Rusty

The last few days have been filled with many different emotions. Holiday season makes both us really homesick, knowing family is together and wanting to be with them. However, being away has also made me thankful for what I do have. We were able to skype with our families which meant a lot. 





Yesterday I walked around Bangkok and watched people celebrating Christmas. There was a sense of Christmas, but it just didn't feel the same. There are beautiful lights and huge Christmas trees-- even Santa and his reindeer. It had the feel of Christmas, and carols were being played, but the words were meaningless to most of those celebrating. I want them to know what this holiday is all about. "O Holy Night" was playing yesterday as I walk around the mall. For the first time I really listened to the words of this song and was moved by power they hold. The words brought tears to my eyes, reminding me of why I get out of bed in the morning.


His birth brought us hope--the very thing we cling to when our lives seem confusing or disappointing. Where would I be without hope? I am so thankful for the hope that Jesus has given me.  We have been so thankful for our friends and family who have come around us in a way that humbles us. I'm grateful to be Olive's dad. I never thought such a little person could steal my heart like she has. In her short three months of life she has already taught me so much and I'm sure she will continue to in the years ahead. 


If you are walking through a hard time this Christmas season, I hope that reading or singing this verse of "O Holy Night" will touch you as it has me. 


The King of Kings lay thus lowly manger;
In all our trials born to be our friend.
He knows our need, our weakness is no stranger,
Behold your King! Before Him lowly bend.
Behold your King! Before Him lowly bend.


Truly He taught us to love one another,
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains He shall break, for the slave is our brother.
And in His name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise.

6 comments:

Roger & Jan said...

Thanks for those thoughts Rusty. They are so true. We love that song too and know it easily brings tears. In fact the 1st tears I saw of Rog's were with that song. May the God of hope continue to encourage and sustain you both.

Kara said...

One of my favorite Christmas hymns. I have tears welling up seeing Olive Hope stitched on that stocking. Blessed. So blessed. You are all in my prayers and thoughts.

Jonathan and Jane Bruin said...

Yeah, Christmas is always hard for us to be away...especially here in this Muslim context where you might not even know it was Christmas if you looked around. I love that song and what's funny to me is that one of my favorite Christmas memories include your dad singing it at a Sonlight candlelight service...in fact I was just thinking about it the other day. We think and pray for you guys often!! Blessing in the NEW YEAR...what a strong and beautiful girl you have...her parents are pretty great too

Carrie said...

I love that picture. Thanks for the blog - Merry Christmas belatedly!!!

Karen & Brad Hernke said...

VERY great ponit made with O holy Night...LOVE IT!!! Praying for you all each and everyday:)

Karen
www.hernkekid.blogspot.com
adopting 2 from ET

Matt Blosser said...

Thanks for sharing Rusty. We are praying for you guys and love you!