Thursday, December 3, 2009

Get us out of here!

Rough and frustrating day.

This morning after we arrived to the hospital we were told we needed to leave the NICU while the neurosurgeon tapped Olive's head. Midway through the procedure the neonatologist came out to tell us that the neurosurgeon had changed his mind and decided to put in a temporary drain that would stay in for seven days. She told us the procedure was almost finished, and we started asking many questions. For one, why was he doing a different procedure than he had discussed with us yesterday without talking to us first? Especially because we had talked with him yesterday about our concerns with placing a temporary drain when Olive still has lingering signs of her infection (her WBC count and protein aren't yet back to normal since her meningitis). We were told by a neonatologist we trust from the States that this is not an ideal procedure given her current labs.

After he finished the procedure he came and talked to us. He said that the research shows the same rate of infection between intermittent tapping and a temporary drain...not what we have heard from other sources.

Throughout the day Olive's oxygen level wasn't as well as normal so they decided to increase her oxygen. She also had an increased heart rate with no signs of infection so they thought she was having pain from the procedure...things that didn't happen with the drain the last three times.

The doctors and nurses told me they would like to keep her in the incubator for the afternoon so that she could rest. I was feeling pretty frustrated as to why she couldn't rest in my arms so I asked the head doctor again and she said it would be ok to hold her. After holding her her oxygen saturation went up on its own and we could take her off of the oxygen they were giving her.

They had put tape all over her head to keep this drain in place and some of it was coming off and I could see the catheter from the drain was starting to come out. The neurosurgeon had tried to secure it with the nipple off a bottle and that was filled with moisture from Olive sweating. Warm and moist...a perfect breeding ground for bacteria.

So I showed the doctor that the catheter was coming out and pointed out the moisture. All the residents came over to look and after calling the neurosurgeon they decided to remove the drain later tonight to prevent infection. They decided to take out an additional 20 ml before removing it. In the morning they had only removed 5 ml...which I am still confused at why they would remove such a little amount.

The resident came to remove the drain. After the resident started draining the fluid, we noticed the tape on her head getting wet...not a good sign. By the time everything was finished and we were cleaning up the tech came to test the CSF fluid and pointed out that there were 53 ml of fluid in the container. That means that instead of draining the 20 ml of fluid as planned, somehow she didn't notice it continuing to drain and she ended up draining about 48 ml of fluid in a two minute period.

Earlier today they told me the max they can drain is 10 ml/kg every four hours. That would mean 17 ml of fluid every four hours. Clearly you can see this wasn't ideal. The doctor tried to play it cool and I was nervously looking at Olive. Her fontanel was extremely sunk in after everything was over. The resident then told the neonatologist what had happened and the neurosurgeon. They said the biggest things they worry about it dehydration, low blood pressure, and electrolyte imbalances. I have also been told before that they cannot remove the fluid too quickly or it can have serious implications on the brain.

I didn't want to put Olive back in her isolette tonight.

Then one of the younger nurses came over and said in Thai, "Mother, you can hold her for ten more minutes and then you need to go home so that we nurses can work." So the nurses can work? Am I really bothering you that much by sitting here and holding Olive as she sleeps in my arms? Ten minutes later she returned to give me a lecture about visiting Olive too much and getting in the nurses way. I told her that I didn't understand, because the head nurse gave us the ok to visit her outside of the normal visiting hours. I said that it didn't seem to bother anyone but her. She said it would be better if we came less like the other parents and that our daughter's situation is better than the other babies in the room.

I wanted to tell her that I didn't want to be here. That Olive was supposed to go back to the States last week, but she got meningitis from her drain and couldn't leave. I wanted to tell her that in the NICU in America that the parents can visit 24 hours and research proves the benefits of it.

Let's just say that by the end of our conversation I was in tears and walking home.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring...but I am praying lots of prayers that Olive will be o.k. tonight despite the circumstances of today.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so so sorry...just reading your post had me in tears. How frustrating when this happens, because Olive is your daughter, a little extremely vulnerable person who feels pain, who needs to be with and touched and held and comforted by her mom and dad. Praying that you will find peace and comfort in your Father's arms, that Jesus will hold and comfort and heal Olive especially in your absence, and that you'll soon get to come to the States.
Praying for Olive and all of you,
Sylvia

jlyn said...

I'm so sorry Lynette please know that I'm praying for Olive's comfort and peace during the night and that you would find rest in our Father's arms tonight. I also pray that whatever mountain needs to be moved in order for all 3 of you to arrive here in the states, that it be moved quickly.

Angel said...

Thinking of you here in Grand Rapids. Hope your arrival here happens SOON!

Jessica said...

Oh Lynette I am crying for you this morning. I am also praying for Gods angels surrounding Olive as you are away and that you would find peace in His arms as you fall asleep. I am a strong believer that God gives us a mothers intuition to protect our little ones and sounds like yours works just fine!! Praise you for what a wonderful mother you are to this little one. Also praying for a speedy return to the states for the three of you!!

StuckeyBlog said...

How incredibly frustrating! I'm so sorry. It would sure be hard to keep my cool! I'm praying for you all.

Denise Lauren said...

oh, i am so sorry! how terrible! i will be praying for extra angels to surround you and your sweet olive tonight! i hope and pray that God will turn this around and use it for HIS glory!

Stacie@HobbitDoor said...

Praying for you today! That is so hard! Medicine is hard enough to figure out in your own country. I can't imagine having to do it in another country with different underlying health beliefs.

Megan said...

Another vomitous ride on the emotional roller coaster. I'm so sorry and hoping and praying you can return to the States ASAP!!

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how upset you were today - I think you have every right to question everything they are doing for Olive. You are her parents!! As for letting anyone tell you you are there too much - if the head nurse gave you the go ahead to come anytime then that's exactly what you do - no matter what! Stay Strong - you are Olive's voice! Love to you all!!

Ashley said...

How frustrating! It all makes me so mad and sick to my stomach...It seems like such a vulnerable and helpless situation. I am praying that God gives you peace that only He can bring. I also pray that God protects Olive from the mistakes and any potential harm that may come from the residents and nurses on staff. Ultimately He is in control of Olive's health and progress, and I pray that He alone would sustain and heal her. I pray that there would be no damage to her brain or little body from the fluid being removed too quickly, and that God would give you favor with the nurses...that they would see the importance of you being there with Olive. Thank you for keeping us all updated so that we can pray specifically for you. Our prayers for you and Olive are unceasing.

With Love,
The Ulrichs

Melanie Verver said...

Oh Lynette!
I can't imagine how very upset you must be! I am so sorry to hear about your day. I don't know how you do it. Your little girl who needs you the most and to have a nurse beat you down. I am praying so hard right now for you. My biggest prayer would be that you could come home soon and get the care she needs here in the states.
May God give you peace today and tonight.

Anonymous said...

Our hearts go out to you Lynette & Rusty! You are in our thoughts and prayers. May you feel God's loving arms around youas He holds you and Olive in His care.
Larry & Dot

Anonymous said...

Lynette,
I just connected Olive with you from Betsy's facebook (Obviously I'm not much of a facebooker:) ). Praying for you, Rusty, and little Olive constantly. May God grant you peace, wisdom, strenth, and understanding during this time. She's a precious little angel and child of God.

Sharelle

Anonymous said...

grrr..... i agree. She needs to get a flight home and soon!!!!

faceunveiled said...

I can only imagine how frustrating that must be! Praying you get a flight home soon!

~liz said...

I have been following your blog for a while now. I think there is some Calvin connection through some of my family members or something. Anyway, my prayers are with you and Olive as you struggle with the situation. I pray that the doctors and nurses will be more sympathetic and that you will be able to come home soon. I cannot imagine the emotional rollercoaster that you are on right now and ask God to bless you through your struggles.

Michelle said...

I am so sorry to hear about the yucky stuff with the nurses. I am praying that God will protect sweet Olive, and that HE will care for her as only He can! Try not to worry mommy...He has her in His arms!

Anonymous said...

I am going to pray very hard that this mountain that is in the way, will move! We all need to get you guys to Grand Rapids and the absolute best NICU ever (in my opinion).

Perhaps you can start the process to get her here in GR, again? I will definitely be covering all of you in prayer, as all these other bloggers on here are. God will win, He always does! It's snowing in Grand Rapids right now and winter is here.

I pray a hedge of protection around all of you, especially Olive Hope. I pray for the peace that no one understands, to hover over you. I pray Oh Lord God, please, you are the mountain mover, please move this mountain so Olive Hope and her family can begin the trek to DeVos Children's NICU. Oh Lord God, hear our cry!

In Jesus Name, it will be done!

Marti B.
Madison Square Church
Grand Rapids, MI

Karen & Brad Hernke said...

Sorry to hear about your day. Man, I pray fo you and Olive ALL the time. Like u said in America we can be by our childern if that is what is going to help better then....they know when there mom is there!!! I'll pray tonight that God will comfort you and Olive through out the night and that tomorrow be a better day. Hang in there...you and Olive can do this.

Prays for all of you:)

Love, Karen
WI

Until tomorrow...God Bless you all!

Unknown said...

Lynette, So sorry for the awful day you had. I know you don't need any advise...from someone not there and not in your situation. But can I please say always follow your mothers intuition. Make sure you are Olive's voice. I know you are...but never hold back for fear of what the nurses/doctors "think" they know. You know your daughter better than anyone. Sometime I want to tell you about a story of when I didn't follow my own mother's intuition. My little girl then 5 months suffered for it. She's fine now...but it taught me to stick up for what my heart said.

Love you. Know I'm praying for you and your sweet little family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynette, I'm crying too! Tears for you, for Olive, and the nurses. I'm sure their jobs are not always easy ones, and it might help them to "detach" from their feelings and yours to get their job done, BUT you just keep doing the awesome job you're doing! Motherly instincts are often right on! You know that Olive is more content being with you. It pains me to know that you have to part with her at all. Try to rest as best you can when you are separated. Lots of Love to you, praying for you, Olive, the doctors and those nurses! Julie Goyette

Deb said...

I pray for you every night as I rock my baby to sleep, I think about you and Olive. I am so sorry that today was so disturbing. I hope that both you and Olive were able to rest and will be feeling better in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and for Olive---

Tears are flowing as I think of how you must have felt! Others have said it so well--- as Olive's voice and advocate, you will need to stand up to some people like the nurse who was in direct conflict with the Head Nurse's invitation to be there any time. Please consider speaking to the Head Nurse, as this night nurse may repeat the same behaviour with others. She must not know the research about the benefits of kangaroo care... you've shown it to be true with Olive. The nurse just doesn't want to deal with parents who have questions/concerns... telling parents to stay away more.... does not sound right or feel right. If she was telling you that you looked exhausted and should get some rest to be strong for tomorrow that would be different. Either she needs some guidance in communicating or she was way out of line in her expectations.

Sending prayers for obstacles to be moved and for your strength to be rebuilt as you keep advocating for this precious baby girl-- your family.

Jacoline said...

Oh poor girl. I'm praying for Jesus to hold Olive in His strong arms, during the times you or Rusty can't hold her! I'm convinced that holding your baby is very much influenting her wellbeing. So keep on doing that as much as possible.

HUG

Kathy Beachy said...

Your Mom, Dad, Anna and us were all a bit sad yesterday. We all wish we could just put you on a jet home.

Russell said...

Lynette, good for you for standing up for yourself and your baby. Sounds like this is going to be an ongoing battle, but one that you must wage. The hospital staff "works for you and Olive", so if you need to insist on taking this to a higher authority, do so. You deserve better and so does Olive. She needs you to be there and to hold her...obvious in her responses.

Dk's Wife said...

Oh, God Bless you all.

I will pray for Lil' Olive.

Anonymous said...

Lynette and Rusty,
Our tears and sorrow are with you, especially reading this. When each of our children were in the NICU, we spent 14+ hours a day with them, and the nurses encouraged it and told us we were so dedicated. You are that, and don't feel any different! It's so tough not being able to have your little one at home w/ you like most couples. Remember this is YOUR daughter, and you CHOOSE to have her at that facility, and you are paying for this, and you may be there as much as you'd like!
This time may be the hardest and most trying, but it will make your life so much stronger for it in the end! You three will be closer to one another and to God! God is good, and He will watch over all of you! Keep your chins up and remember, this won't be forever.
Much love mixed w/ tears! Joel and Joy Hoksbergen