Wednesday, December 23, 2009

An advent prayer for Christmas.


We just got a LOVELY christmas package in the mail today from a bunch of our friends in Seattle. SOOOO special.

In the package they included this Advent Prayer by Henry Nouwen that I loved and wanted to share.




4 comments:

Irene said...

Henri Nouwen is one of my favorite authors (Maybe because he was a Dutch priest) I still remember when God took him home, My husband was in a Catholic hospital when the chaplain a nun, came in and told us.

Nouwen suffered a lot from depression which frankly had been something I have fought most of my life. So his books really speak to me. He is so very open about his emotions, his feelings, and yet his tremendous love for God and his desire to be taken home to spend eternity with the Father.

Philip Yancey also speaks to me in the same way, again so very open, no platitudes, questioning, praying, his books have really blessed me.

I still believe that God doesn't purposefully give us heartache, but that it's a result of original sin just as his mercy is not only for his children, but is given to many who do not believe in him. What I do believe is that he never leaves us, even when we feel forsaken, he is there, he is a Father filled with love. He understands our tears, anger, frustrations just as Christ experienced the same. If Christ experienced EVERYTHING that we experience, how can we doubt his understanding. We know things didn't turn out the way he desired all the time either.

This is a long comment, but I love the advent prayer, it's a prayer that can be prayed every day.

Betsy said...

LOVE Henri Nouwen, and love this prayer! SO glad you shared. Merry Christmas to all three of you. May you be filled with the peace and presence of our Savior.

Jessica said...

This is absolutely beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to wish you and your family, esp Baby Olive a very Merry Christmas. No matter where you are in the world the joy of Christmas will be in your hearts always. Here's to many more for your family.

Happy Holidays!!
The Stark Family