I reached my due date two days ago and have been asked by a few people if this has been hard for me. It's actually been the opposite...more thankfulness of still having Olive with us. Our close friend in Chiang Rai named Gee, made Olive a beautiful tiny wooden coffin on the day the doctor told us she was dying in October...the day her heart rate dropped to single digits so many times. Luka and others even dug her grave in Huisan Akha Village on that same day only to be refilled in the coming days. That little coffin is sitting in our house in Chiang Rai, and is an incredible reminder of grace.
The past few days have been hard for both of us. Loved ones close to us also going through incredible lows and difficult journeys in their own parts of the world. Through the mess we are trying to step back and find some perspective.
It's been interesting how many times faith has come up in conversations with nurses, the hotel manager, at the salon, and restaurants. I've been encouraged many times to go pray at the temples or spirit houses for protection over Olive, and to make merit. The other day one of the NICU nurses was telling me about Buddhist beliefs and asking me about Christianity...mainly asking why things like this happen, and how we explain it in our faith.
From a Buddhist standpoint it is pretty clear cut. Everything that happens in this life is a direct result of the choices we made in our past lives. Like one little old lady told me in Chiang Rai, "you made Olive very sad in your last life, so this is how she is coming back to get back at you. This is a trial that will eventually pass. What will be will be. Your job is simply to accept it."
When my friend asked me why these things happen from a Christian's standpoint I kind of froze thinking.."it's so complicated, how can I explain this" and then remembered the quote ""If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself." So we talked some about Job, and how God allowed Job to be tested and for his world to fall apart simply to test that his love for God would remain steady--even in the midst of incredible pain.
I've been thinking about this lots in the last few days. I've felt so numb and tired lately. It's so easy to be consumed by our own circumstances and lose site of everything around me. Having a personal pitty party about wanting to get home also doesn't benefit anyone, or help those wants become a reality. There are still needs all around me...right here. Other parents whose children are sicker than Olive in the NICU that need support. I don't want to miss out on seeing those things. I read this verse tonight and was reminded of how true this is.
“Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.” -John 15:4
My hope is that tomorrow morning when I wake up, and when I crawl into bed tomorrow night that I would be drawn to Jesus...the one who is "all kinds of beautiful", infinitely valuable, all satisfying and everlasting. That He would be my treasure when everything else gets gray and blurry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
I just want you to know how amazing I think you guys are. My prayer is that you continue to know the strength of the Lord and that he will sustain you.
Love you guys x
You two are truly amazing. I've been following your blog daily, I to had a preemie at 27 weeks, same size as baby Olive. Since going through this, I've always said that I would not even want my enemy to go through this. Knowing Ron & Colleen & family through the Sonlight church several years ago, it breaks my heart to see you go through this. Keep up the breast feeding. There will probably still be some more very difficult days,(we even had some when she was home) but be patient, as long as you have the milk it can be done. Our God is truly an Awesome God, and he has proved that with baby Olive as well as he did with our daughter. We will continue to pray for your family.
Lynette,
This blog was beautiful and brought tears to my eyes. I can only imagine how clearly you must see God's grace as you look at that little coffin! As I have prayed for your family over the past weeks, I too have been drawn to the story of Job. It seems inconceivable that a person can lose so much and then look up, instead of around at the mess, and say "God is enough." Yet, every time I read your blog I see that same example in your family. Your words and actions prove that, despite your pain, your life story is boasting the love and faithfulness of Christ. Although I don't personally know you, I see you as a friend and pray for you, Rusty, and Olive constantly. I pray that God sustains you and comforts you, especially in the moments when you feel that you can bear no more. I pray especially for His healing power to consume little Olive, that her brain and organs would function in perfection, the way that He designed them to work. I pray that in her vulnerability Olive knows the love of God in ways that we can only imagine.
Be blessed,
Ashley Ulrich
You don't really know me...but I am part of a broader circle of people who know you and have been following your blog for some time now. We think about you often and continually pray for you and little Olive. I am awed, humbled and inspired by your strength and reliance on God. Your story is reaching so many people--those you don't even know--and making an impact. God bless you.
-Lisa Thomson (sister to Andrew De Vries, wife of Zak Thomson)
I don't know how you do it Lynette, except that you remain in Him. I am always encouraged and inspired by the faith and love you display. You are bearing the most beautiful and sweetest fruit. Thank you.
Really I think your parents should write a book how they raised such a woman like you. I'd like my 2 to grow up with faith just like you.
Lynette...thanks for sharing your heart. It's amazing what all God has shown/taught to your open spirit.
keep those thought close to your hearts!! thoughts, love, and prayers and will you all right now and throughout the wonderful holiday season!
much love -
Michelle Kujawski
thank you for your words, love. we praise God for the treasure of Himself to us... lovingyous. xo
Lynette, you have such a beautiful soul - transparent and open for all to see. I am constantly reminded of God's grace when I read your posts. You are such a testimony to those around you and all who are touched by your words. We love you and are continuing to lift you up before The One who cares about us far more than we can possibly comprehend.
some of the most beautiful words I've ever read. Thank you, Lynette - for reflecting all kinds of beautiful.
i have to say that i had the same effect: i became a whole lot more thankful for every day and for the good things in my life after i had daniel. it really does change your perspective on life.
Still praying fervently for your family!! I'm enjoying the beautiful pictures of Olive, she is so sweet. I just want to pick her up and hold her close. I am a mom, and a grandma too.
Love in Jesus,
Marti B.
Madison Square Church
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Post a Comment