Friday, December 11, 2009

A long awaited cry.

For the first 1.5 months of Olive's life we never heard her cry. We often wondered what her little cry would sound like someday, and if we would even get a chance to hear it. In this video she is getting weighed and powdered up by one of the nurses we love, and clearly not impressed.




Olive now weighs 1.95 kg (4.29 lbs) , which means she is very close to 2 kg (4.4 lbs) (the goal weight for the VP shunt surgery).

After my post about needing blood we got a phone call from a willing donor who knows mutual friends of ours in Chiang Rai. Today Olive is starting the first of three blood transfusions after her hemoglobin was at 8.5 g/dL (normal is 10-14 g/dL) and her hematocrit was 25% (normal is 30-42%). This morning the neonatologist tapped her head and removed another 25 cc of CSF fluid. Everything went well with the procedure. Olive also was moved out of her isolette a few days ago and into her own little bed now that she is able to maintain her body temperature better.

We are falling more in love with her each day.



37 comments:

Kmaag said...

Dear Lynette, Dear Rusty,

We have not met - I work at Calvin College, and an email went out a few weeks ago asking us to pray for your little girl. I've been following the blog ever since. Olive is gorgeous. I'm not sure she's too impressed with the hat! I'm so glad she's putting on some weight and heading in the right direction.

With many prayers for continued improvement and a way for you to come back to the US all together,

Karin Maag

ry@n said...

Proud of you both as you continue to trust and love on lil Olive.

Thank you for posting the progress as often as you do.

Ry@n

Anonymous said...

i love your little girl. she is so sweet and she has the best facial expressions ever!
thinking and praying often for you both and your sweet babe. it's exciting to see that she has put on some weight...

amanda martens:)

Jessica said...

What a beautiful noise!!

Anonymous said...

I never tire reading updates. I love the pictures and videos. Olive has such neat facial expressions. She gets her message across when she 'speaks'. Praying for comtinued improvements and good health.
Fern Bontrager

Melissa said...

what gorgeous, tiny little santas you have in thailand! man, olive even cries adorably. miss you and love you, my dears!

Chrissie said...

What a delight to see and hear. What a gift to you. Thank you for continuing to share this journey with all of us. May the peace and joy of the Christmas season be with you all today and in the weeks ahead. We love you x

Irene said...

I love the bath video, she is so alert and responds to voices and seeing her grow like that is a blessing. Still praying for a flight to be available very soon. Of course always praying for the three of you. I think of all the people who have fallen in love with Olive and that she is probably prayed for more than anyone else in the world. You have opened the Window into Your World and we are grateful. Blessings, grace, peace and mercy be yours.

mollyjoy said...

i'm amazed at the gift of tenderness that remains in me when i think of you - and of little olive. even as months pass, the tears are so close. and they feel like a gift. thank you for sharing your journey with us...

olive is so amazing.
and so are you two.

inspired & full of love,
molly

Jan Kok said...

LOVE.LOVE.LOVE the video~ Definitely expressing herself as a true Polinger =) Maybe that's a true Miller trait too. It caused tears for me and I can imagine it did for all the Nana's, Papa's, Grandma's and Grandpa's too. So sweet to see her wiggle and squirm, and the wonderful sound of her tiny cry. I think of you often and lift you up constantly in prayer. Christmas Joy and Blessings on your little family.

~liz said...

The video brought tears to my eyes. I remember how special it was to hear my little boy cry for the first time and it was immediately after birth. I can't imagine your joy to hear that precious noise after waiting so long. My prayers are with you all for continued growth and good news.

debbie said...

What a precious sound her little cry is! We look forward to the day we hear her laugh!
We continue to lift all of you up in prayer. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Rusty & Lynnette-
We pray for you often. I'm usually the one who checks the blog and Reub will say, "How is Olive today?"
So glad to see the video and hear that beautiful cry.
Melissa & Reuben Van Til

Jonathan and Jane Bruin said...

What a joyful noise!! I love both the sound of a healthy set of lungs and also the sound of the accompanying joyful laughter. What a blessing to see how well Olive is doing. Thanks so much for sharing!

Melanie said...

What a precious sound! She is so beautiful!

Denise Lauren said...

what a beautiful sound! thank you so much for sharing this with us! we're praying for you daily!

studioGypsy said...

oh she is just so precious! ;) xoxo

Anonymous said...

Rusty/Lynette,

I cry as well everytime I read one of your blog posts. Somewhere, and I can never remember where it is, is a Bible passage that says God will take our tears and put them in a bottle. I can just imagine walking into Heaven and He appears and has that very jar with Him, and when He pours it over my head, it is no longer tears, but crystals.

SO good to hear Olive's cry! She sounds just like a newborn. I bet she was cold while getting her bath. She is SO beautiful and I too am falling in love with her. I love her name, God's little Olive!

To Rusty: Little girls are usually the apples of their daddy's eyes, and from seeing pictures of you holding Olive, she already is.

Continuing my thoughts and prayers your way. It's very cold here now, in the teens and we just had 15 feet of snow dumped on us over the past 3 days. It's definitely winter in Michigan!

Marti B.
Madison Square CRC
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Ashley said...

So Sweet! Baby cries are the best! I'm sure you are so proud! She is absolutely gorgeous and it seems that she has quite the little personality. What a precious Christmas gift that little cry is....I pray that God continues to bless you with the gift of getting to see more and more of who she is as she continues to heal and develop.

In Christ,
The Ulrichs

Jaree' said...

What a beautiful sound! It brought tears to my eyes! Praying and rejoicing with you

Russell M. Hill said...

She sounds like she really has something important to tell you! Seems so attentive!!! She is absolutely adorable...a living doll. And what a blessing she's put on so much weight! We really appreciate how often you keep this blog updated...I find myself running to check it several times a day.

Karen & Brad Hernke said...

She is getting alot bigger....great to see and also great to hear her cry. I pray for her EVERYDAY!!!! So....happy she is doing better...keep it up sweet Olive!!!!

God Bless!!
Karen
WI
www.hernkekid.blogspot.com

Clayre Turner said...

What a cute Santa!

Carolyn Miller said...

it was the moment Nana Carol was waiting on....to hear her cry. This cry was a normal cry of a newborn getting her bath!

Kimmy Noonen Photography said...

This little cry is such a beautiful moment, thank you for sharing with all of us. We are praying for you all, thanks for posting so often so we can see how those small prayers are being asnwered. Be strong in your weakness.

tammy said...

Praise the Lord...a miracle is happening right before our eyes. The sound of her cry is music to our ears. She is beautiful.

anna said...

LOVE IT!!! What a beautiful sound. Love you guys!!!!

Wubben World said...

Precious, precious sounds of a baby's cry! She is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

We have watched this over and over. My favorite part is your lil giggle, Lynette. Love and Blessings! Barb & fam

Megan said...

I agree with Fern Bontrager, I never tire of reading your updates and being able to see pics and videos of Baby Olive!

Mary A. Miller said...

Just now I went back and looked at some of your older posts and pictures again. Olive is indeed a living, breathing, miracle! Her crying is just the sweetest sound! God bless you as you continue on this journey.

Anonymous said...

Oh My!! Her big curious eyes just melt me...they take everything in. Thanks for the update. Will keep praying.
-Sylvia

Stacie@HobbitDoor said...

What a precious sound! PTL!

Anonymous said...

Rusty,

Just make sure she doesn't take her baseball cards into the bathtub with her like her dad and his cousin.

Jeff

Kathy Beachy said...

I am finally at my own computer where I can comment. What a sweetie! Everytime I see her, I talk about her cute little nose.

Michelle said...

Look at Little Miss Wiggle-Squirm! How cute it SHE! She is getting so big! Still praying!

Nunnikhoven's said...

What a beautiful sound! God hears the cry's of his children! You will never know how often you are thought of/prayed for.
Brittani (Beld) Nunnikhoven