Tuesday, December 15, 2009

squid and boiled rice.

Last night the nurses decided Olive needed a little photo shoot while she had her nasal cannula off and ng tube out. Olive was getting tired out as evidenced by the pictures, and it ended with her dosing off. The doctors are saying maybe another two weeks until they will know if she will need to undergo surgery or not for the VP shunt. Tomorrow she will have her head tapped again by the neonatologist. Olive did well breast-feeding today which was a pleasant surprise to her usual grumpy response to it.

We are trying to learn how to be content in the midst of this time of waiting. We find ourselves in a season where everything is out of our control, so all we are left to control is our outlook and where we turn to find our strength.

The nurses have been so kind at the hospital. I think every day this week someone has brought me food to take home for dinner or to share with them. This morning I was invited to eat boiled rice soup with fried squid and dried shrimp for breakfast. Not my usual breakfast, but a sweet gesture.





src="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjovUU2yWpF6XspIYUEWG8cf17hd4T4Vp0isuDHSng4-cBf_RELxHUtMRcci4-uug8QC4EBosDlojRCKqShdqm9fjoC0Vu8aEBAThHtXxJ2ZO18B-khyphenhyphen46eESPcOmXYrxxiVXXfjRz85zU/s400/PC140010.jpg" border="0" alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5415485273227930050" />


23 comments:

kmaag said...

What a darling. But she sure did not look happy about some aspects of the photo shoot. Perhaps it went on too long for her taste.
It's snowing here again today, and the roads have gone back to being icy - Olive would definitely need her hat and mittens.
Thanks for the updates!

Karin Maag

Sarah V. said...

So precious! I can see both of you in her. I just want to snuggle her in my arms and give her kisses! Isn't today (or tomorrow) her due date? I can see God's goodness and grace as I compare these pictures to those of her first weeks. It's been quite a journey though! Love you three!

Melanie said...

Such a beautiful baby.

Ashley said...

I love it! How absolutely precious! She are a beautiful mommy! I hope you have a fantastic Christmas and that you can just enjoy being a family.

God Bless,
Ashley Ulrich

Megan said...

I pray that you will receive the strength and guidance you are searching for, and in the meantime are able to enjoy that little punkin. She sure is a sweetheart! I love all the pics even though Olive didn't! I'm also glad breastfeeding went better, I remember thinking how easy it looked, but it does take practice for both mom and baby, so keep trying! :)

Jessica said...

I love that she isn't afraid to voice her opinion.
Lynette you are a constant inspiration to all of us. We love you guys!!

Clayre Turner said...

Haha I love the picture next to the baby doll where she is screaming! Looks like a cover of some sort of funny greeting card!

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you so much for sharing those adorable pictures. I have tears in my eyes after looking at them! Olive is a beauty for sure, even when she is unhappy.

This will probably sound strange, but, when I breast-fed my one full term infant in the 1970s, I squeezed a little so the milk would start flowing, and it made breast feeding a little easier on my infant. She was full term, but only weighed 5 pounds. No NICU back then, but I stayed in the hospital 7 days with her so they made sure she was OK to come home. Turns out, she was just petite. As an adult now, my daughter is only 5'5" tall and weighs 99 pounds soaking wet!

I continue to pray for all of you. And yes, I too hope you have as best a Christmas Day as you possibly can, so far away. No matter where you are in this world, Christmas Day is still Our Lord's Birthday and we can celebrate it with Him however we are able to!

Love in Jesus,
Marti B.
member of Madison Square CRC
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Betsy said...

Olive, I'd cry if I had to sit that close to that scary baby too.. It's ok. But I sure do love your pink hat!

Irene said...

Glad breast feeding is going better. You probably have plenty of milk (although beer is helpful!)
Right now there are some issues that are totally out of my control which I always find very frustrating. Today tears came as I was driving home, I had just talked to my pastor, who told me that all I could do at this point is give it time and pray. Mine is pretty insignificant to what you are dealing with, but in a small way I can understand. Wait and pray, wait and pray. Times of encouragement and times of discouragement. Times of laughter, times of tears. Times of great tiredness, emotionally and physically. Yet God asks us to trust him. All of life is a journey . It's not an easy journey as you well know. It's a journey that never stops until he takes us home. Meditating on the journey Jesus took, as we celebrate his birth makes us think and realize that his journey was the hardest of all. As you wait, may God give you the peace that even though we don't and can't understand all his ways, you can still trust him. I hope you find a blessing, laughter and love in this part of the journey. You have been given a very special and beautiful child.

StuckeyBlog said...

I love the picture of you with Olive - you look beautiful. And the one where she's checking out the doll. Love her expression! She is getting so much bigger.

Unknown said...

she's getting so big! love these photos, lynette. thanks for sharing. i especially love the one of you with her. i just can't get over her little self.

Kathy Beachy said...

Your Mom printed a few of these pictures off at work. The one of you holding her is just simply adorable. Give her lots of kisses for us!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rusty and Lynette,

I am a 1st Grade teacher at a Christian School in Grand Rapids, MI. One of my sweet students has been asking us to pray for 'Baby Olive,' since the day she has was born. At one point we even had a picture printed out of 'Baby Olive,' and hung it on our classroom door. Please know that there are 19 first graders and their families praying steadfastly for you guys!

B and B said...

Olive is looking GREAT! Just beautiful. We continue to pray for you. The Dykhouse Family.

Anonymous said...

Look at the double chin!! Wow...super to hear and see such great news....! Have a wonderful time enjoying each other and know prayers are still coming...!

Michelle said...

She is not too sure about that doll, but it made a cute picture!

Eros said...

Hi Lynette. Is this your baby? She is adorable. Tell Rusty and Olive I said hi. ~ Eros

Gabriela said...

She is so sweet.....her face looks so much rounder...God bless her....

Unknown said...

oh I just love that picture of Olive with that doll.....she has a little temper about being so close to such a weird looking thing.

chiangraiemal said...

She is so precious!! I think she looks like little piglet. How cute!!
Anjelica

chiangraiemal said...

She is so precious!! I think she looks like little piglet. How cute!!
Anjelica

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!! Thanks for sharing them with us. May you have grace to continue living an open life, sharing your journey with all around you.

Rhoda Miller