Lynette and I are faced with some decisions in the next couple of days. It looks like Olive will need a procedure to removed some of the fluid in her head soon. We have been advised to have her moved to Chiang Mai (2.5 hours away).
We are trying to figure out our options before making this decision. We need to know if Olive would be eligible for Medicaid in the States. We have a cap on our insurance, and are wondering if we should try to get her home to america asap. Does anyone know how this would work for a baby born oversea's to come into an american hospital? Does it depend on the State? If anyone knows someone that has the answers to these questions can you put us in touch with them? Does anyone know someone who works for Medicaid? our email is rustylynette@mac.com. Thanks for all your help and prayers. I bring this to you, cause many have asked if there is anyway you can help. To have some of these answers would help us alot.
Olive is again stable today. She had another CT scan today. We need to relieve her pressure sooner than later.
Love,
Olive is again stable today. She had another CT scan today. We need to relieve her pressure sooner than later.
Love,
Rusty


14 comments:
Here is another link. I so hope that it helps. It is for the neonatal unit here in atlanta. It is a top one in the country.
http://www.choa.org/default.aspx?id=793
Here is what I know. You can contact your home state U.S. Senator's office. They should be able to help you, or at least put you in contact with the right people. Let them know the urgency of the situation and if they aren't sure ask to speak to their supervisor, someone will know, its all apart of their job.
Trying to help find an answer for you also....I have delivery nurse clients that may be able to help. Posted the question to them and will let you know if I have any help for you also.
What a precious little pnut she is!!
God bless and talk soon,
Kristie- Kara's sister
Contact The Johns Hopkins Hospital Department of Neurosurgery at 410-955-7888. This is where Dr. Ben Carson works - he is the famous neurosurgeon that grew up in very poor conditions in Detroit and has developed a scholarship fund. He has a very high reputation in his field. I am forwarding your link to as many on their board as I can locate. You may want to personally call.
Praying for wisdom!
Rusty and Lynette,
I called Illinois Medicaid and the person I spoke with said that Olive could be enrolled and all her medical needs would be covered. Here is the phone number if you'd like to talk with them: 1-866-255-5437.
Here is the link to Illinois' All Kids website: http://www.allkids.com/
Love you guys
Jon
found more numbers you can contact - I'm having trouble answering the questions they ask, or I would gladly do this for you - Pediatric Neurosurgery: 410.955.7337
Hopkins Access Line (HAL Line: 1.800.765.5447 This is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
I've also sent the hospital your link...praying continually for peace and wisdom for you.
I have no answers, but praying you're able to find the right answers quickly!
Rusty,
If you guys are interested at all in Seattle/Washington guidelines, let me know and I can make some calls.
I believe that three months of retroactive Medicaid coverage is provided from the date you are approved. (At least that is the policy in Indiana and Kansas). So, if you're here before all the Medicaid kinks are resolved, you should still be covered. Hopefully the US Consulate could help with expediting Olive's citizinship/status. I'm not sure that Medicaid would cover anything related to transporting her here...
the possibility of olive getting help is the most important thing now. i think the money will work itself out. many of us can help, just keep us all updated with costs, etc...
also, just wondering if olive is allowed to breast feed directly, or do they need to monitor the exact amount she is getting? breast feeding right off your body may help her stay interested in continuing to nurse and would be so great for both of you.
We have dear friends in Chang Mai who work for your Brother and Father. Our friend is a physician there. If you do go there and want the contact info of these friends, email me at leslicryer@sbcglobal.net
Praying for your sweet family.
Peace from Him who give it,
Lesli
Praying for you all in the clutter of these very specific and caring options--that you will find a simple and clear path that you can follow in peace. We are praying that you will be directed, connected, led in holy, perfect ways and able to quickly eliminate everything that is extra baggage.
We are praying for you every day -- and feeling for you as exhaustion and weighty decisions collide. The Lord is within you, around you, above you, beneath you, behind you, before you -- and ever with you.
We just returned from Krabi feeling like we wanted to get to you but knowing the last thing you need is more people on your doorstep. Somehow it felt good to be with the Thai people you love and who love you, though.
Loving all the Polinders around the world and feeling for you as you love each other...Mona and Tim
Colleen, Ron, Stacia, Shawna, and Rusty & Lynette,
I know Medicaid is implemented by each state. Olive is an American citizen, and has rights as an American. However, there may be residency requirements for the state that implements the Medicaid. It may be helpful to try to find a hospital in the most recent state you lived in, and work with a social worker in that institution. If that doesn't work, a far-fetched idea would be to perhaps assigning temporary guardianship to Ron and Colleen so that she would possibly be eligible for care in Seattle. It is an incredible amount of work, and I know time is of essence.
As far as suffering as a Christian, I know that "neither life nor death can separate us from God's love." Colleen and Ron remember Keith Tuls from college and Gallup, my first husband and Sherry's Dad, who died at a young age after 3 years of malignant melanoma (33--admittedly much different from a newborn). Jesus asked to not suffer (in the garden); therefore I do not believe it is wrong for us to plead for our loved ones. Beyond that I do not reasons why God allows some of His people to go through valleys like this--But today I can see how God worked through experiences to allow good things to happen. It took me a long time but God is patient, and is willing to listen to ALL of our feelings (see the Psalms). I know God is God, and I am not. For that I am grateful, and wait for full knowledge without seeing through the glass darkly, as Paul suggests.
We send our love and prayers to all of you.
By the way, Sherry Tuls Roscoe now lives in Dover, DE and know Lynette's brother at Cannon Mennonite Church.
Marilyn Halstead
Lynette & Rusty, my niece Beth Stachura forwarded me your info. I am a Physician Assistant in Buffalo, NY and work in pediatric orthopedics. I have read most of the blog, and majority of the comments that your friends and family members have posted. You certainly have a lot of caring people looking our for Olive. As most people have written, Olive is an american citizen who happened to have been born abroad. She would be eligible for Medicaid in whatever state you decide to return to. There is indeed a 3 month retro -active period that would cover any costs to her medical care. There are numberous wonderful pediatric neurosurgeons in the states. Buffalo as well as Detroit have great childrens hospitals, also Cleveland Clinic, Mayo clinic, Johns Hopkins. If there is anything specific medically or insurance wise that I may assist with, please contact me, and know that Olive is in my thoughts and prayers.
Post a Comment