Friday, October 30, 2009

The Gift of Life by Cardinal Terrence Cooke (as he lay dying)

"The gift of life, God's special gift,
is no less beautiful when it is accompanied by illness or weakness,
hunger or poverty,
mental or physical handicaps,
loneliness or old age.

Indeed, at these times, human life gains extra splendor
as it requires our special care, concern and reverence.

It is in and through the weakest of human vessels
that the Lord continues to reveal
the power of His love."

-----------------------------------------

The neonatologist we have been talking with from South Bend, IN said this to me on the phone the other night and it has stayed in my thoughts ever since then..."Even if they cannot walk or speak, if a child is able to receive and give love, then it is a life worthwhile to God."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you all! I have been through a similar experience! What a blessing to have a doctor that supports you and believes in the value of any life!! Praise GOd!! The doctors I had a MacMaster in Hamilton Ontario, treated my son very differently, at times with statements so cold,it scared me! We will pray for continued care by these special doctors!
In Christian love
Karen

Anonymous said...

My wife & I also went through a premature birth with our boys (oldest @ 26 weeks gestation), and the words written are absolutely true. Our child was also born at McMaster in Hamilton (as previous post), and at that time, our pastor assured us that "there are no mistakes in life." God is in control!
We realized during one of our valley days that there wasn't anything that we could do to elongate his life or make it less traumatic. We decided at that time to become the caretaker of God's child for however long we were to be blessed by his presence. We didn't know how long that would be. That was the best feeling that I've ever had in knowing that all of the medical concerns were out of our control and in God's control, and we would be able to have caretaker responsibilities (something we could control).
Looking back at that time now, we realize how much we learned and realized about God and our creator by being able to watch a child develop out of the womb during the time that the child was supposed to be in the womb.
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Ps 139:13
We understand the peaks and valleys that this journey has in store for you and know that God will give you the strenth along the way.
We're so happy that you made it to Bangkok and that you're heading toward the States soon. We're constantly praying for and thinking of you and your family.
Brian & Shanthi

Cindy said...

I have been following and praying for you in this journey. I am Sarah's sis-in-law and feel like I have met you Lynette - perhaps through Amber at some point.
I just wanted you to know that I am only one of many who are holding all of you close to my heart in prayer! Sweet Olivia has left her tiny footprints on my heart! When we are walking through a time in our lives that is so heartbreaking, and you feel like all you have is tunnel-vision because the world continues on as if everything is normal, you can feel so alone. When you finally "come out on the other side", you will wonder with amazement how you ever got through that time ... and it is only with the love and tender mercies of our Heavenly Father!

"Dear Lord, embrace Lynette, Rusty, and Olivia in your strong and loving arms"

Cindy Hawkins

Cindy said...

Sorry, I meant Olive. I have another relative Olivia.

Jessica said...

God is already using beautiful Olive in the lives of others. So many are hearing His name when they hear your story. We have been sharing your story with many others that are already praying. She is on our minds when we wake and when we go to sleep.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you three. I check on Olives blog daily and get worried when I don't see anything. I will continue to pray that she gets stronger and healthier, that you and Rusty stay in good health, and that Olive makes it home to the states to meet all of us who have been rooting for her. She is amazing and I am blessed that she has touched my life.

One of her fans,
Beth