Last night I was sitting with Olive in the ICU when our friend Nuay was rushed back into the ICU with her 2 month son named Auto. The nurses rushed around to get him onto the ventilator, and checked his pupils that were fixed and dilated. Nuay was sobbing, her husband next to her trying to hold himself together with tears dripping down his face. I stood next to Nuay for a while, feeling sick to my stomach. Her little baby wasn't looking well at all. I think for the first time she was realizing she might lose him. She was telling me what had happened but I didn't understand any of it through her strained sobbing voice.
This morning Rusty called me and told me he was at the morgue with them and that little Auto had died last night. Please pray for Nuay and her husband. They have been going to the temple each day to pray. They are deeply hurting and the hurt will only continue. All of the parents we have grown close to here in the ICU have now lost their little ones.
Last night Colleen and I went to a little hair salon across the street from our guest house and had a long conversation with the family that runs it. Their son lived in the States for a year and one of the women was an english teacher in town.
When the grandmother heard about Olive she told me she felt sorry for me. She was a very strong Buddhist and must have felt the need to witness to me. She said we all deserve what comes to us. She told me that I must have made Olive very sad in the past life, so in this life Olive is coming back reincarnated to make me feel very sad and this was the way she chose to do it.
Her grandson was very embarrassed, but I told him not to worry about it and that I like learning more about Buddhism and their beliefs. The grandmother kept saying, "What will come, will come."
It's a very different outlook on circumstances then say the example that God gives us of Job in the bible. We have been listening to John Piper's sermons about finding joy in the midst of suffering. "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him...in the midst of loss."
Love, Lynette


1 comment:
thank you for the reminder about suffering. i watched the piper sermon you posted. it was truly amazing. as americans we get caught up in the ease that is life here, and completely forget about what living for Christ should be. where you're at, the example Christ is having you be for Him, is amazing. thank you for standing strong and being a witness in the midst of such a battle. the ability to suffer with Him is such a blessing amidst great anguish i'm sure. you are prayed for often along with your beautiful little girl. may He continue to care for you, always.
Post a Comment