This morning we walked over to the hospital prepared to be moving Olive to Chiang Mai today to begin getting consultations from neurosurgeons there about what the next step is to care for her ever growing head. After arriving it became clear that there was no bed currently available in the NICU at the government hospital in Chiang Mai...and now they are saying they aren't sure when one will open up.
We talked with our doctor here and with a doctor in Chiang Mai about possibly temporarily moving her to a private hospital in Chiang Mai until a bed opens up at the government hospital. After our doctor here called the private hospital in Chiang Mai she told us they won't accept Olive into their care because she is classified as a "hopeless case."
Great. We really appreciate your help and care. So what exactly are we supposed to do with Olive when her vitals are stable and the pressure in her head increases day by day? I guess just continue waiting and praying for a bed at the government hospital.
We have a wonderful head doctor from the government hospital working to get her in ASAP, but there is really nothing he can do until a bed becomes available for her...which hopefully will be in the next two days. We are hoping to get her under his care when she moves to Chiang Mai. He studied in the States, speaks amazing English and had a pre-term baby of his own while in the States. He seems to think he would like to assess her first in person and then decide what the next best step is...to send her to Bangkok...to help her in Chiang Mai...or if its possible to get her to the States.
Last night we spoke with another WONDERFUL neonatologist from the States who thinks the best thing we can do at this point is get her home to the States ASAP and on Medicaid, or to proceed with some temporary measures in Chiang Mai to relieve the pressure, then continue trying to get her home (most likely to a hospital in Indiana or Michigan).
Now the question is how do we get her home if that is what is best for her? Tomorrow morning Rusty will be meeting with the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai to begin working on Olive's passport as well as researching options about flights back.
On a lighter note, we have been having lots of fun with our nurses here at the ICU in Chiang Rai. Today when I was sticking more milk that I had pumped in the freezer they were laughing at how much I had stored up compared to how little Olive can drink. I told them they should start drinking it with their morning coffee...to which they were appalled and thought better if I just make Rusty drink all of it, or to have him use it as a face mask. :>)
You have all been SO wonderful with your words of love and encouragement, your incredible generosity, and your prayers. Couldn't ask for a bigger support team during this time.
Love,
Lynette
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Hang in there rusty and lynette. We are all pulling for sweet little Olive. I am looking forward to the post and picture of her on the day she goes home with you both...God bless
my sweet Olive, I pray that your road won't always be so hard!
I don't know if you remember me but I have met you before through bethany. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your beautiful daughter with us through this blog. I am hoping, hurting, and praying for you!
Hey we're praying for you too. I'm thinking it would be really really awesome to have you bring her to Indiana for the shunt surgery. That's just a selfish reason really...I would love to kiss that sweet little baby. Praying for you and that the road will open up for the direction you should take.
I love the milk story. :)
Hi, I don't know you, but am friends with Sheldon and Ellen G. here in Chiang Mai. I was just wondering if the dr. you've spoken to here is Dr. Somporn? Dr. S. is our pediatrician, wonderful dr., and also a neonatologist at Suan Dok. If you're not talking about Dr. Somporn, it might be worth calling him as well. His number is 081-681-2082, he usually answers this number himself.
Blessings,
Dorothy Beachy
Thank-you Dorothy. It was Dr. Somporn that we were in touch with. :>)
i've also been told that breast milk can be made into soap. it's not a problem i had (i was too sick to breastfeed) but there's probably a recipe on the internet for it.
i believe that a bed will open up in chiang mai at the right time. hang in there.
if enough people haven't said it, you two are awesome parents and you are doing an amazing job advocating and caring for olive.
Dear Rusty and Lynette,
Although I have not left a comment before, I have read your postings daily and prayed for all of you more times than I can count. We met your parents, Rusty, when they lived and worked in Rehoboth (which is where our son has lived and worked) and we count them as two of our dearest friends.
Please know how often we go before our Lord and beg for His mercy and wisdom to be poured out on you. Your words of faith have been an inspiration to us and countless others, and your words of weariness have been a stimulous to prayer.
Our God goes before you working out all the details. May you feel His love and blessing on you.......
Mart and Mary Hollebeek
Rusty and Lynette, I praise God that you are finding Him to be that very present help in time of trouble.
I bless you with Psalm 63
1 O GOD, You are my God, earnestly will I seek You; my inner self thirsts for You, my flesh longs and is faint for You, in a dry and weary land where no water is.
2 So I have looked upon You in the sanctuary to see Your power and Your glory.
3 Because Your loving-kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise You.
4 So will I bless You while I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name.
5 My whole being shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips
6 When I remember You upon my bed and meditate on You in the night watches.
7 For You have been my help, and in the shadow of Your wings will I rejoice.
8 My whole being follows hard after You and clings closely to You; Your right hand upholds me.
Praying for you, Denise Henke
Post a Comment