This morning after arriving in the NICU we were asked to sign consent for Olive to undergo round two of laser eye treatment. The opthamologist came two days ago to assess Olive and noticed that while one of her eyes had been treated very effectively in Thailand, the other looked like only half of it had been treated. Since then, the doctor here has been in communication with the doctor who performed her treatment in Bangkok. The ophthalmologist in Bangkok told him that they weren't able to finish treating one eye because the power went out...what????? A small detail he failed to mention to us.
This afternoon she had laser treatment and everything went well. She hasn't woken up all day because of being drowsy from the sedation medication they gave her prior to the treatment.
This evening I went to hold her try a little kangaroo care and while holding her she stopped breathing. Usually she can come out of her apnea spells on her own, but this time she didn't and the nurse had to bag her. I learned later that this had also happened earlier in the evening. I'm not sure what is going on with her. The doctors aren't exactly sure either except that it seems to be caused by neurological problems.
Olive also been having some complications with her shunt. After arriving from Thailand the CT scan showed that she had fluid on top of her brain that most likely occurred when too much fluid was released at once during a previous tapping in Bangkok. The neurosurgeon set her shunt so that she would have increased pressure in her head to help that fluid on top of the brain move back into the ventricles. The fluid has since moved back in the ventricles but now it is leaking out around the shunt all the way to the peritoneum. We have been told this isn't a massive problem, but one that just needs to be monitored.
I'm going to bed tonight feeling pretty worried about her little head. I know she is under the care of excellent medical professionals, but I also realize that there is only so much they can do. Each day it seems we get more of a reality check learning about different problems she has and how this will affect her future. These informative meetings force me out of that safe place of denial I often like to rest in, but if I sit in the reality of it all for too long I get overwhelmingly sad.
I'm feeling so sorry for her little body and how much she has been through. These new episodes of apnea and dropping her heart rate continue to worry me. Wishing there is something I could do to make her life easier.
Lots of people have been reminding me that one day we will look back and understand clearer why things happened this way...I really hope so. I keep telling Jesus that someday He will have a lot of explaining to do to me to help me understand all of this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


25 comments:
ohhh Lynette ... i just wish there was some way i could help! sending my love, prayers and inappropriate messages and comments ...
In the midst of tribulation,
Stand by me;
In the midst of tribulation,
Stand by me;
When the hosts of hell assail,
And my strength begins to fail,
Thou Who never lost a battle,
Stand by me.
Praying for you all today. Praying for a restful sleep for you and for Olive. Praying for healing.
Love you dears...may Jesus hold your weary hearts so close to his own. You're so right - it's impossible to understand all of this. I wish there was something I could do. Love you again...
So sorry. My heart aches for you. Tonight, Dad told me about the unfinished surgery in Bangkok before you posted. Unbelieveable. Sending my love and wishes that I too could do something to help.
Thanks for posting Lynette. I have really been wondering how Olive was doing! We are praying, without ceasing.
Oh you guys! I am so sorry. I am glad you are getting great care but, that doesn't take away the pain of seeing your sweet little daughter struggle. I love you guys. I hurt with you.
My heart is breaking!!! I love you guys so much. As Stacia said "what an honor to be an aunt (great aunt, in my case) to this little peanut!! Continuing to pray for strength and peace in the midst of the storm.
Oh Lynette and Rusty,
On and on it goes, we're seeing through that mirror dimly right now. All we can do is hold you before the Lord in prayer and let you know how much you are loved. M.A.
My heart is breaking for you guys. At times it feels so hard to trust when things seem so wrong and out of place. We are lifting you up before the Father and praising Him that He is more than able to see and understand, even when we can't. I am specifically praying for God's peace in all of this and that you would undoubtedly feel His love and presence in each moment of your day. I know that none of these words take away your pain and disappointments, but we will all continue to stand before God on your behalf asking for rest on this journey and complete healing for sweet baby Olive.
I am hurting with you also, wish I could say or do something to make it better. Rusty just filled me in on what is going on before I read your blog. That little sweetie has been through so much, as have you both. Sending you much (virtual)love...
Praying for you guys especially hard today. Reading your blogs is really hard for me it brings so much back to me, but something I have come to realize is sometimes....there is no reason for why things happen and it is so hard to accept that. Sometimes things happen and we sit and wonder why for years...I just pray peace and hope over all of you. I am always reminded of how God asks us to cling to Him in times like this. Whenever Maggie goes into a new situation she clings to me like a monkey I literally have to pry her off of me and she still clings to my shirt or trousers....this is what God is wanting of you guys...cling to Him! Cling so hard that you have to be pried off...I know that you are anyways but when I think of all you are going to that comes to my mind. So praying for you as you cling to Jesus. Love you. xxx
Tears are filling my eyes sweet Lynette. This world doesn't always make sense to us, and maybe it never will, but Jesus does have you and Olive and Rusty tight in His arms and will show you incredible things about Himself no matter what happens. Don't be overwhelmed by sadness Lynette, because we are all here to carry it with you. I know it's not my burden, and that I cant even begin to feel the pain you feel, but I do want to help carry your load. I am carrying it daily to our Father who loves you very much.
I love Olive and pray everyday for the very best outcome.
My heart breaks for you Lynette. Praying for rest and wisdom for you tonight. Praying for continued comfort for your beautiful baby!
Lynette and Rusty...
Remember that God didn't cause these problems for Olive, and He is crying with you. Because of original sin, Satan is able to interfere in our lives and create terrible sadness, but God will not leave you to Satan's devices without supplying extra strength to you. Olive has already had a huge effect on so many people that this terrible situation has resulted in enormous miracles too. I don't mean to sound "preachy", just speaking from experience. Our love and prayers continue for all of you.
We are loved. We are heard. We are not alone. (my chant of reassurance) -Jenn/Snowflower in GR
Tears flow and I will never understand. I don't even think I ever will. Olive has impacted many lives, but I would rather have wished for a full term healthy Olive than this. I am filled with anguish for you,I count on the promise of the Holy Spirit groaning words that I hardly know how to say.
So sorry to hear about more issues and complications with the shunt. You're right, though, it's probably going to be difficult for you all to understand what God is doing right now which is why prayer for strength and trust in God is so important for you all to receive during these days. It wasn't until Amos was about six months old that we had friends who had a baby that had to stay in the hospital and we were able to reach out to them and share their burden because we had been there too. It was then that I saw that our experience with Amos wasn't in vain--that it was his story AND that God was using it and us to minister to our friends in a very profound way. Since then, there have been numberous folks, including you, with whom we've been able to share their journey and hopefully, give encouragement that this too shall pass. Someday, this all will be a distant planet, and even though it will still be Olive's story, you will be able to serve God in this specific way, being used by him to give comfort and support, and it will be very meaningful. For now, we get to pray for you, that God continues to hold you up, comfort you and give you the strength you need for every moment and hope for Olive's full recovery to happen soon and for her medical issues to be minimal.
one moment at a time, dear ones. loving you in prayer... rest yourselves and olive into Jesus' care. xo
Lynette, So sorry for you and this hard news right now. Thanks for sharing your heart, I know how to pray. Wish there was more I could do~
Hugs to you!
All I can say is that it makes me cry. I'm at loss for words other than we give you our love.
Megs has been sharing the story of your precious little Olive Hope with me since she was born; I have been following your blog,with the tears and heart of a mother of four and a child of the King...I know that one day He will have all the answers for you and Rusty...but it's so hard to wait for them, because you want them now...this is when we have to just rest in His hands,His word,His annointing, His peace....because no one has the answers...I know in my heart that God knew before the beginning of time that He would allow you both to care for Olive...that you would be the best He could give her....your faith and trust has shown through in your blog....I wish the same faith and belief in Him for my own....know that we offer up prayers daily for you all....I share little Olive's middle name...Hope is a small word but strong when paired with the Holy Spirit and knowledge that she belongs to Him....I pray we get to meet that little miracle one day and you once again are able to either visit us here or at Meg's...I don't think she will be leaving Seattle any time soon:) Love to you both and to little Olive...Meg's Mom;Hope
One thing I KNOW ... Your residence is still safely in
the palm of His loving hand.
Poor baby. I will continue to keep her in my prayers.
Lynette--- crying with you as I read your words.... As a special education teacher who worked with severely challenged children before having our family, I have witnessed the parental heartache of which you speak before. I know your heartache comes from a deep love for Olive and longing for her to be well, without the challenges that face her.
Isaiah 41:13 Fear Not, for I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, fear not for I will help thee.
The parents I just mentioned, have built an absolutely amazing support network around their children, and you will, too. Those parents are strengthened by their relationship with Christ, and you will be, too. The children of these parents have touched so many lives in so many ways because of their parents' great love and refusal to give up hope; refusal to settle for 'reality' and instead to hope and work toward the best possible outcome. I know it's overwhelming, scarey and riddled with obstacles. Leave the statistics for scientists if you can, and just keep loving up this little girl who is already amazing and loved so much. Just keep loving her as you are...... We are praying for you guys tonight.
Post a Comment