Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Surgery #2 completed.

Surgery went well. Since surgery at 12:00 p.m., Olive has been sedated with morphine and on the ventilator. She will also be NPO (unable to eat) until tomorrow when she will also possibly come off the ventilator. One concern is that she hasn't urinated since the surgery, but they are saying this can be a side effect of coming off of general anesthesia and are monitoring this closely.

One really lovely part of this day was that the nurse was able to get an IV in Olive this morning on her first try...it's been months since that has happened.

During surgery they took a sample of CSF (cerebral spinal fluid) fluid and sent it to a lab to look for any signs of infection. If she were to have an infection everything will have to be removed (including the broken part of the shunt that is currently left inside her brain). We would have to move to Riley's Children's Hospital in Indianapolis if this ends up being the case.  Please pray against any infection.

We are realizing that if we focus on the what ifs...and all the unknowns of the future we will drive ourselves mad. Trying not to worry about tomorrow because it will have enough worries of its own.

One step at a time...one day at a time...or lately its been more like one hour at a time.


Here are some pre-surgery photos from this morning...





















and one post-op photo from tonight...


15 comments:

Deb said...

Every night as I rock my daughter to sleep, I think of you rocking your daughter and I pray for you. For courage and wisdom for you and Rusty. For peace and healing for Olive. She is loved and she is beautiful.

Rachel Kathryn said...

Yippee for the IV! As a nurse (and you probably know as well), getting an IV on those little ones can be so tricky. I'm so glad for the success. I certainly pray that Olive does not get an infection. Should she be moved to Riley (where I work, by the way), I can attest that the NICU nurses are really terrific. And please know that you would always have a place to stay or find respite.

Carrie said...

Thank you Jesus for that IV. A timely grace. It is a struggle to control those anxious thoughts. I know this on experiences much less traumatic than what you are walking through with Olive. I love you all so much, and will be praying for sustaining grace beyond your earthly capability to live in the now and not in that powerful, almost overwhelming pull of the "what if". Turning worries into petition is a DEFINITE exercise of my spiritual "muscles" - it takes such deliberate choosing that it would feel so tiring at times. A constant spiritual marathon. That...um...hasn't ended. Huh. Asking you, Lord, for the GOOD that only you can work in Olive's life through all of this. Use all of this that feels so utterly painful for Lynette and Rusty to witness as a channel for your grace. Be mighty in this, Lord. Be redemptive in this, Lord. Show your great compassion and your unfailing love.

Unknown said...

Rusty, Lynette, and Olive just want you all to know that we think about you guys and are praying for you. Still so glad that we got to meet you guys. We will continue to look at the you blog for updates. Bridgette and Steve

Charity Hildebrand said...

Praying for you guys and for you to experience God's comfort and peace like you never have before through these hard times!

anna said...

this little peanut has gone thru more than anyone should have to experience in a lifetime!! In your mercy Lord, we still continue to ask for complete and total healing. Love you guys!!!

Clayre Turner said...

Wow. I am constantly in awe of how beautiful your little lady is! I love the picture of the pink stuffed animal peering over at her! Praying!

The Slater's said...

Thank you for updating us on Olive! She is getting so chubby isnt she! I was telling a lady who was in hospital with Maggie and I yesterday about the three of you and she got really teary eyed and said that you were all so brave to go through what you are going through. Like you said just one step at a time. . . that is all you can do! You're fabulous! xoxo

Sarah Partain said...

Praying for you all and against infection in olive. If you have to come to Indy, you have a place to stay...we're downtown. While I would love to meet you and give you hugs, I hope it's not because of more complications. Praying for peace, too, while you wait.

Heidi Sue said...

Continuing prayers and love and blog-reading all over you three ... and all those who are walking closest to you through this.

Praying specifically against infection and specifically for the strength to stay in the present moment... and when the present moment is too much, to turn that present moment over to God and the cloud of witnesses who are turning it over on your behalf.

Anonymous said...

I NEEDED THE QUIET

I needed the quiet, so He drew me aside, into the shadows where we could confide. Away from the bustle where all the day long, I hurried and worried when active and strong.

I needed the quiet though at first I rebelled. But gently, so gently, my cross He upheld....and whispered so sweetly of Spiritual things, though weakened in body, my spirit took wings.....to heights never dreamed of when active all day. He loved me so greatly, He drew me away.

I needed the quiet, no prison my bed, but a beautiful valley of Blessings instead. A place to grow richer, in Jesus to hide, I needed the quiet, so He drew me aside.

Author: Alice Hansche Mortensen.

Continuing to pray for Olive and all of you.

Marti B.
Madison Square Church
Grand Rapids, Michigan

joeybelle said...

Praying for you daily - and thinking of you often! You and Rusty are my heros! I love the photos - she has changed! She's beautiful!

HOW HE LOVES
"He is jealous for me,
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden,
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realise just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me.

And oh, how He loves us so,
Oh how He loves us,
How He loves us all

Yeah, He loves us,
Oh! how He loves us,
Oh! how He loves us,
Oh! how He loves.

We are His portion and He is our prize,
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes,
If grace is an ocean, we’re all sinking.
And Heaven meets earth like an unforseen kiss,
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest,
I don’t have time to maintain these regrets,
When I think about, the way…"

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for the surgery being done! Your little girl is so sweet and adorable in those photos. Love the one of you holding her pre-op, Lynette-- such love evidenced in the photo.

You're right. One step at a time. God holds everything in His hands and He will be the keeper of our tomorrows....

Anonymous said...

Man she is so darn precious! I just want to snuggle her! Dear Lord, Please heal Olive~she has work to do here on earth. She has touched so many lives already. She's a fighter a survivor~God's lil angel. So far life hasn't been an easy journey but Lord we know you can take her ailments away and make her new--please give her a chance to do your will! Amen.

Unknown said...

Man....Loved the pictures. She has changed her looks/and has gotten a little chubby under the chin I think. :) Praying for you guys!!