One of our big stresses lately is figuring how to get Olive's medical care covered since being back in the States. Olive is in a very vulnerable place, as many American's are when their insurance caps off their care. Political views aside, it seems America's system leaves a lot of people in a helpless position. We have been feeling helpless in the process of applying for Medicaid.
I (Rusty) have been working on this continuously for the last three weeks, getting nowhere because our income is above the poverty level with the extra gifts given to cover Olive's care while in Thailand and for the medical evacuation. We have been told that the application process will take several months and even then it doesn't look like our chances are good. The stresses have been building as we've been wondering if this will ruin us financially... bankruptcy? How we will pay for future doctors appointments? Home care? Possible future surgeries? We aren’t asking for any free hand-out, just something we can afford.
To make a long story shorter, today a miracle happened. I was able to meet and talk directly with someone in the Medicaid office and walked out 20 minutes later with an official Medicaid number for Olive.
This is truly amazing and we are so thankful for this answer to prayer. At the same time we can't help but think of all of the Americans still left in our old shoes. This seems to be a big topic in politics lately. Whether Republican or Democrat, no matter which side you claim, I hope we can all agree that there are issues with our current system that need to change. Let's remember that this is about people, not just politics. Though I don't fully agree with Obama's health care reform, it seems that something needs to change. Hopefully both sides can come together to create change where it is needed. This year I think we will feel a little less bitter paying our taxes, especially when the government is helping us in a time when we were stuck between a rock and a hard place.


12 comments:
Praise God for your miracle in speaking to a Medicaid "person." This is wonderful!
I'm curious - DeVos Children's Hospital NICU has the March of Dimes paying for some of the treatment of babies in the NICU, some of it is paid for by other State programs, and some by various children's organizations. I am wondering if Indiana and/or Thailand has the same type of programs? One is called The Children's Miracle Network, and is funded exclusively by donations from the general public.
I have friends in Los Angeles who had a baby in the NICU there for 68 days and they praise the March of Dimes for helping with costs for them back then (about 2 years ago).
I know God will make everything work out for you guys because Olive is God's little miracle!
Marti B.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Well said Rusty--and excellent statement about health care issues. Let's hope and pray for some bipartisanship!
dad
AWESOME job convincing those Medicaid people, Rusty! I wish I could have been there to see the look on your face when you got back to the hospital :)
PRAISE GOD...PRAISE GOD! With the prayers of so many people over Olive and your persistance Rusty, you have been VERY blessed! This is HUGE...and we celebrate with you!
We will be paying our taxes with thanks this year. Thanks for the Polinders and their answers to prayer. And thanks for the wonderful country in which we live.
"....always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father...." Ephesians 5:20
I would definately check into the March of Dimes or similar programs if you haven't already, they should certainly be able to help with hospital costs, at the least. Is there anyone you can talk to at the hospital about these types of programs??
PTL for answered prayers! We have a variety of medical issues in my immediate family and have found that health insurance (state and private) seems to require us to jump thru soooo many hoops...some of which we aren't aware of until after the fact. Praise God that your visit to the Medicaid office was pretty simple...and continued prayers for guidance in how to "navigate the system" and for just the right people with the right knowledge to connect with you at just the right time. Maybe part of your ministry at one point could include advocating for others within the healthcare system! :) -Jenn/Snowflower in GR, MI
Praise God! I was feeling so discouraged with this situation until I read the part about you getting the Medicaid number. I am so thrilled for you guys! God is enough!!
In Christ,
Ashley Ulrich
Thank YOU, JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so awesome - I am soooooo thankful that that HUGE financial burden can be alleviated. What a huge weight off of your shoulders!!! A miracle indeed...
That is WONDERFUL news! What a miracle. Hug Miss Olive for me! She is so adorable...those EYES! :)
Nancy in CT
Rusty & Lynette, we have 2 boys that are patients at Scottish Rite Hospital (similar to Shriner's hospitals). We've personally benefited from "free" services from this hospital. I know that there are Shriner's hospitals throughout the US, including Chicago, St. Louis, and Spokane WA. Eligibility to be a patient there is based on the possibility that the child would benefit from the services they provide. If you ask your doctor's whether Olive might benefit from Shriner's for periodic care, that may be a financial burden lifted. Through Shriners, all medication, X-rays, appointments, tests, etc. are covered at no expense to you.
We're constantly praying for you and your family, and trust that God will continue to bless you and your family during these challenges.
Brian Kerssies
Thank you Jesus for lifting this financial burden from Rusty and Lynette's shoulders. Please lift the health issues that Olive has and make their burden light.
Post a Comment