Saturday, March 27, 2010

Things to say/not to say to someone in our shoes.

People have asked me a few times what things others have said to us since having Olive have been helpful as well as the things that haven't.

We have been reminding ourselves all along that people's motives are always good and well meaning. And in light of knowing their good intentions we we have been trying to receive those comments with that in mind.

The poem I posted a few weeks ago called "Grief Dance" talked about this all so well. It touched on the the uncomfortable feelings we have for other people when they see us...feeling like we need to tell them before they speak that it's ok that they don't know what to say or "the right thing to say," and that we don't expect them to.

It is also strange to see someone you know well who you know knows about Olive, but acts as if nothing has happened. I suppose they are trying to be sensitive and not wanting to bombard you with bringing up painful emotions...but something about not acknowledging her feels even more strange. It's like people are trying to protect us from feeling sad or bringing tears to the surface. Something about avoiding her name in conversation feels more hurtful at times than acknowledging she was alive or the tears that may come with us talking about her.

Things NOT to say to someone who has lost a baby (whether through an illness, miscarriage, or stillborn):

-"At least you can have other children" (this takes the focus off of the loss of the child that has died). Olive is irreplaceable...even having other children will never replace her.

-"Well it was probably for the better." If you have the urge to say this, just choose silence instead. It will be a lot more comforting in the end.

-"Sometimes we just can't understand God's will." I guess I just don't buy it that this was his will for Olive's life...a level four brain hemorrhage, a pulmonary hemorrhage, two laser eye surgeries, one broken shunt, meningitis two times, reflux...etc. I believe that we live in a fallen world and because of that things like this happen...and that God can redeem these circumstances and use them for His glory. That even in the middle of incredible loss He can be enough. But NOT that he wanted this for Olive...I can't bring myself to believe that. One of my biggest current struggles is knowing that God is all powerful, and yet He didn't choose to heal her in the way we hoped he would.

"Jesus must have needed another angel in heaven." I think He has plenty of angels. Pretty sure He isn't a "needy" God.

"This must have been God's grace for Olive. She probably would have grown up to be rebellious and He was protecting her, and making sure she had a safe place in Heaven."  Ok...not sure what to say about this one except for that it bothers me.

-"Aren't you thankful you have a family started in heaven?" NOOOOO. I'm not. Actually, I wanted to start my family on earth...not in heaven.  Am I grateful that when I get there I will get to be with her again? Absolutely. Am I thankful that she is whole and no longer suffering? Absolutely.

-"Well...at least she wasn't crucified on a cross." Yup. Someone really said this. That may be the most absurd thing I have heard in a while but at least it made me laugh out loud. I mean, I guess they had a point...at least she wasn't crucified on a cross. And odd thing to say? Most definitely.

____________________________________________________

And when Olive was still alive it was these things we heard more than once that made me cringe:

-"She will be fine." falsely reassuring someone of something only God truly knows may make the person saying it feel better but it isn't helpful in the end. The reality is that none of us ever knew if Olive would be fine...and that it didn't turn out fine.

-I knew someone who had a premature baby at 28 weeks and is perfectly normal now. Ok, but did that baby have a level four brain hemorrhage? Because we know 23 week old premature babies who now are perfectly healthy, but they had no brain hemorrhage. Every story is unique.

-"She is going to be the smartest little girl in her fifth grade class." Ok. Maybe she will be if God decides to heal her, but if He doesn't, then what? What if she is very disabled like the doctors are saying and she is the slowest student in her class and she never makes it to fifth grade? What is that going to do to that person's faith? Is God still there then?

-"I saw another retarded little boy the other day and it made me think about Olive." Can we just stop using the word "retarded?" thanks.

______________________________________________________

Things people have said that HAVE meant a lot to us...(there are many more than I will list).

-"I'm so sorry."


-"I'm sorry I haven't written. I just haven't known what to say."


-"I wish I had words."


-"I love you."


-"Praying for you."


-"We miss Olive."


-"There are no words."


and of course the list goes on here.

The purpose of this post was not to tell you ways you have offended me...because I realize that the hearts behind even the uncomforting words were said with the best intentions. I am not sitting here holding grudges, because I realize everyone's words were said out of love. If anything we have felt more overwhelmed by the kindness we have felt through this journey from our friends, family, and even strangers.

The point was mostly to say that it's okay not to have profound words to help someone like me who is grieving. If you are one who is walking alongside someone else who is grieving in the future, and feeling uncomfortable or awkward while struggling with what to say, I just wanted you to know that saying, "I'm so sorry" is significant enough.

I also realize that everyone is different, and the things that weren't helpful for me, may not be the same for another person. That's part of what makes this "grief dance" so difficult.

27 comments:

Denise Lauren said...

Thank you so much for sharing these things with us ... I'm praying for you often.

Clayre Turner said...

Wow, Lynette your wisdom and insight never ceases to challenge me and enlighten me. I love the third thing you listed in what not to say. You verbalized something I had been contemplating for a long time. I have a lot of faith in God and I trust Him but I can never accept the idea that He is a God who "blessed" me with a relatively easy and comfortable life while there are others who suffer so much. This world IS fallen and it is NOT in accordance with His will, which is why He is redeeming and it and will one day come back to reclaim it as His own. I hope that you can continue to share your experiences with others Lynette because God is using you to strengthen, encourage, comfort and enlighten others. I know Olive's struggle made God's heart break as much as it did yours. He wasn't happy with it. I will never believe otherwise.

Charlotte said...

Even though I don't know you I appreciate what you share with us: The open words about Olive, God and your loss.
I feel so sorry for you and am so sad that Olive passed away. Wish she was still with her lovely parents!

The Slater's said...

I read your blogs and I cry, my heart breaks for you and I am one of those who doesnt know what to say because I have never experienced something like this. I did to a degree but like you say every case is unique. The things you are going through and experiencing are hard and sometimes there are no right or wrong words. I think you are one of the strongest couples I know and you are so honest...I think it is admirable the way you speak your minds and your hearts. We do pray for you daily and before bed. You are never far from our minds...Love you both alot. xx

Unknown said...

I just have to say...I love your blog. I love the learning curve here....as in "things that are comforting."

But wow!!! Some of the things people have said...Do some people just NOT have filters in front of their mouths or WHAT??? Or are they broken?? What the heck????

Fern Bontrager said...

Lynette, Thanks again for allowing me to see through your window. You are so wise, insightfull and honest when you share, I love your thoughts. I don't believe there has been a day since Olive Hope was born that I haven't thought about you, Rusty and Olive. I will always remember the time I visited you at the hospital, how when you spoke to Olive, her big eyes would focus on you as if she wanted to say something. She knew her parents voice and their love. Praying for you often.

Anonymous said...

Rusty,
I saw your dad the other day at LC and he asked if I had seen you while you were in Lynden...so sorry to have missed you. I would have loved to see you and meet Lynette. Know that I continue to pray for you and your family as you walk this path. Dawn Kroontje

Melissa said...

Rusty & Lynette,
I love you ... and I miss Olive. A lot. On both counts!

Troy said...

Some of those people would feel mighty strange at our house where we have barely met you and talk daily of your darlng girl. Sometimes I pray that it doesn't bother you that we love her and you so much. I won't ever be able to adequately verbalize how we have made you all a part of our daily living. I thank you though for so graciously allowing us to continue on this journey with you. You both awe me. We love you. We love Olive. We never met her but our hearts ache at her absence in your family. And as always, we can pray.

Ashley said...

This was a beautiful blog. I found myself mentally going back praying that I didn't make any trite comments. I pray that my words are always comforting and never bring you more pain or sorrow.I am so impressed with the way that you continually allow God to work in your life. You are such a blessing. I think about little Olive so often...

Rustin and Lynette Polinder said...

just wanted all of you to know that I did not write this to get any apologies. I realize all the words said to us were with the best of intentions, and no grudges are held. If anything, we have been much more overwhelmed by the kindness of friends, family, loved ones, and strangers.

Heather said...

I love you.. all three of you and sometimes wish it was socially acceptable to just punch people in the face.
Much love. Hope you are enjoying texas!! You should come to Manitoba next!! :)

Kathy Beachy said...

Rusty and Lynette: out of curiousity, I clicked onto Troy's name. In case you haven't done that yet...do so, and scroll down on his pictures, until you get to the one of their prayer list.

Michelle said...

You don't know me, but I have prayed for you for quite awhile now. I clicked over here today just to tell you that I was thinking about you, and thought it interesting that you posted this.

I don't know what to say, having never gone through this, so I will just say this "I am so sorry for your loss. I still pray for you every day."

Jessica said...

Thanks so much for sharing these tips and thought Lynette!! Your honesty is beyond anything we could experience otherwise!! We love you and we will always love Olive as well!!

Ren said...

Hi Lynette and Rusty, thinking of you often and praying x

Karen from England

studioGypsy said...

hi loves. we so miss olive. we love you. we pray for you every day. lovingyouslovingyous. xo~L&fam

Lane family said...

I don't know you... but I have been touched by your words, and your sweet Olive. I live in Temple Texas and have had the opportunity to spend a small amount of time with you sister in law (?) I'm so sorry for your loss.

I know that you have done, and will do beautiful things in Thiland. My aunt and uncle have been missionaries there for 20 or so years. (I doubt you know them... Steve and Andrea McGowan) Thank you for allowing a stranger a peak into your life. And thank you for sharing the story of Olive.

-Meghan Lane

Megan said...

Thank you for posting things that I never had the courage to say to other people. I think that some people honestly don't stop to think before they say things!

Anonymous said...

During the times you blogged about Olive and her progress, I'm pretty sure I said some of those "should not have said" things, and I do apologize.

I have been and continue to pray for all of you.

Marti B.
Grand Rapids, Michigan

lain and ryan said...

Oh friend, I'm so glad you posted this...even when you're writing about sad things you make me laugh. Love you much - miss your face.

Kristin said...

I can't imagine what you're going through. I miss seeing posts and pictures of sweet little Olive! I was so excited to hear you all were traveling back to the US. I was also so sad when I heard about her passing. Thinking of your family!

libby said...

I like you. Thank you for writing this. Your honesty is wonderful and refreshing. I miss you guys.

rad said...

i love your honesty. i love your willingness to share your process. i just generally love you. thank you for allowing us to be with you. miss you guys. can't wait for you to come back.
xo

Anonymous said...

You give such insite Lynette! Thank you for your honesty...I have grown in my relationship with the Lord as I have watched from a far~this dark road and aching loss for Olive. The picture of you holding her on the blog entry a few times before is precious...she resembles you so much! Praying for you as you enter my mind-which is often still.

Becky said...

This resonated so much with me. My daughter is severely disabled and I have heard so many similar things over the past seven years. I just have to shake my head.

I am in 100% agreement with you that this is not God's will for our children. The God that I love and worship would never will such hardship into the life of an innocent baby. I think it's time for that sort of thinking to stop.

I am so sorry for your loss. You don't know me but I think of you and pray for you often. Your Olive was so beautiful and precious. I'm so glad you shared her with us.

jen said...

i so identify with a lot of that. my son is ok but it made me cringe when people would say that they knew someone in the same circumstances that was fine.

i'm finding that this is the case as we're dealing with my father-in-law having cancer. yes, you know someone who beat the odds but that person isn't my father-in-law and every case is different.