Sunday, February 7, 2010

Grief Dance-by Heather Spohr


This is a poem written by a mother who lost her 17 month daughter last year due to pneumonia. Her daughter Maddie was also a premie born at 28 weeks.

There is a lot of pressure that comes with grieving.
Every day, we get watched, observed, sized up.
People are constantly looking to us to set the tone.
We can hear them holding their breath,
waiting for us to smile, or laugh, or cry.

We are also holding our breath
waiting to see how people will react to us.
If we laugh, will people think we’re being disrespectful to our daughter?
Because sometimes we laugh.

If we cry, will we make people feel awkward?
Because we cry, a lot.
If we smile, will people think we’re okay?
Because we’re not okay.
We’re not better, or fixed, or over it.

It’s this constant up and down
like a thermometer…rising and falling.

But most of all, we put pressure on ourselves.
We get tired of crying, but we feel guilty if we don’t.
We miss hearing her voice
but just the sound of it can throw us into utter despair.

Our friends invite us to things.
We want to be with them.
But sometimes it’s just too much.
We hope they keep inviting.
We hope one day it won’t be too much.

Grief is a dance we don’t know the steps to
but we shuffle along, trying not to mess up.

13 comments:

Scott and Shawna said...

I don't know the steps to this dance either but I do want to be your dance partner.

Melissa said...

My thoughts exactly, Shawna!

Love you, Lynette and Rusty!

Anonymous said...

It's funny. I have had some of these thoughts. How do I react to you? I don't want to seem like I'm stalking you (but I am), but I don't want you to think I've forgotten you either. I think you know I'm here. And I'll keep asking.

anna said...

I don't know the steps either, so I'll probably keep stepping on your toes and tripping over my own. But just know that I LOVE YOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lynette, I am so joyful that you connected with Heather. It has not been a year yet for them....April 7, 2010 will be the one year anniversary of Maddie's homegoing.

I pray that you and Rusty will continue to have the peace of the Lord, and that God will give you happiness on this earth once again. As you know, Heather went through a high risk pregnancy and managed to carry this one full term, though she was watched very closely and had to take a lot of medicine. Annabel was born the very day Olive went to Jesus. I praise God Heather's blog can minister to you!

Marti B.
Grand Rapids, Mich

Fern Bontrager said...

I would love to be your 'Grief Dance' partner. I believe that each person must find their own steps in their dance. I know 36 yrs ago when my mother passed, you didn't talk about grief, the world went on as if nothing happened, inside I was crushed not knowing how to cope. I am thankful that God understood my anger and frustration during that time.

God loves to dance with you and I can picture Olive standing on His toes dancing along and giggling.

Praying for you.
Fern Bontrager

Irene said...

Many of us have done the dance. We also learned that we made some people uncomfortable because they didn't know how to react.

So you dance how you need to dance and you don't worry what others think, wonder etc. You know your thoughts as does God.

We continue to dance with you with lots of love.

studioGypsy said...

loveyous. xo

Tom and Stacia said...

I love this description . . .
It seems like this grief-dance is also a GRACE-dance! I'm with the sisters and the cousins and the aunts above!

Timothy Miller said...

Man, that's so stinking insightful.

The feeling I have is that no matter if we laugh and eat good food and talk mundane things, I haven't forgotten and haven't stopped feeling sad about your loss of Olive - the whole tragic story, really.

This poem sort of addressed the social aspects we're all feeling and not usually addressing.

So stinking insightful.

Anonymous said...

such a profound poem and I can so relate to those feelings... thank you for posting

Megan said...

I agree with Katrina, I feel like a stalker sometimes, not wanting to intrude but wanting to know how you're doing and for you to know I am thinking about you.

libby said...

Ghan and I like this one a lot. We love and miss you.