Tuesday, March 23, 2010

a great book about loss.

I'm currently reading a book called, "A Grace Disguised: How the Soul Grows Through Loss," written by Jerry Sittser. The author himself experienced profound loss when his wife, mother, and 4 year old daughter died in a car accident as a result of a drunk driver. I've been given lots of books on loss, but so far this one has been my favorite.

I wanted to share some of the parts that have been important to me over the last few weeks. I will probably share a little here and there as I go through it.

"We do not always have the freedom to choose the roles we must play in life, but we can choose how we are going to play the roles we have been given. Choice is therefore the key. We can run from the darkness, or we can enter into the darkness and face the pain of loss. We can indulge ourselves in self-pity, or we can empathize with others and embrace their pain as our own. We can run away from sorrow and drown it in addictions, or we can learn to live with sorrow...
The soul is elastic, like a balloon. It can grow larger through suffering. Loss can enlarge its capacity for anger, depression, despair, and anger, all natural and legitimate emotions whenever we experience loss. Once enlarged, the soul is also capable of experiencing greater joy, strength, peace, and love. What we consider opposites--east and west, night and light, sorrow and joy, weakness and strength, anger and love, despair and hope, death and life--are no more mutually exclusive than winter and sunlight. The soul has the capacity to experience these opposites, even at the same time...
The darkness lingers for a long time, perhaps for the rest of our earthly lives. Even if we really do overcome our own pain (which is doubtful in my mind), we nevertheless find ourselves more sensitive to the pain of others and more aware of the darkness that envelops the world. The choice to enter the darkness does not ensure we ever completely come out the other side. I am not sure we can or should."

What is drawing me most to this book is how often he talks about eventually living with sorrow and joy simultaneously.  He never once mentions "getting over it." There is something so comforting about not placing those expectations on myself.

"In other words, though I experience death, I also experienced life in ways that I never thought possible before--not after the darkness, as we might suppose, but in the darkness. I did not go through pain and come out on the other side; instead, I lived in it and found within that pain the grace to survive and eventually grow. I did not get over the loss of my loved ones; rather, I absorbed the loss into my life, like soil receives decaying matter, until it became a part of who I am. Sorrow took up permanent residence in my soul and enlarged it."

18 comments:

Carrie said...

That does sound like a great book. I was actually planning to send you this exact book when you guys got back home - I had heard about it on the radio when they were interviewed the author and it seemed like a really really helpful book. I am glad it can be. He seems to have such a great way of putting his soul into words. Love you!!!

Zoƫ said...

We are still praying for you all!
The Speer fam from Texas

Betsy said...

I loved this Lynette. A few years back I experienced a very painful loss, and around that time I did a lot of writing. Here are some of those words that came to mind while reading your blog:

"I resent that our society has come to embrace a “pull yourself up by the bootstraps” mentality. It can be seen everywhere. Walk into a local bookstore, and you’ll find hundreds of psychological books on moving beyond grief, how to relieve anxiety, and “bouncing back” from virtually every kind of major life disruption. It is not a seldom occurrence to hear of some highly praised Ph.D. coming to your area to give a motivational seminar on how to fix the problems that life presents so you can go back to enjoying the “good life.” The problem at stake is that, in the shadow of these glorified professional wound-dressers, we have come to define “good” as “the absence of bad.” As psychologist Dennis Gibson puts it, we become emotional hemophiliacs, terrified that the slightest touch of pain will cause us to bleed to death. The good news is that God made our blood to coagulate. We are not going to bleed to death. There is no need to avoid all injury because we have the ability to heal.

Just as moisture softens clay to be fashioned, so the human soul is made supple in moments of deep pain and vulnerability, and will eventually take the form of a monument—shaped over time by the etching of adversity and the flames of fortitude. Perhaps its placard would declare the words of Nouwen: “In the midst of our sadness there is joy…in the midst of our fears there is peace."

Jonathan and Jane Bruin said...

Thanks for sharing. I love the picture of you and your sweet girl! Lots of love and prayers.

Carolyn Miller said...

profound!

Anonymous said...

I love how he writes about grief enlarging the soul to be able to experience profound sorrow and deeper levels of joy. How true this has been in my own life! Thanks for sharing this excerpt.
Rhoda Miller

Amber said...

I have been following your blog for well over 6 months now and I found it randomly through a friend on facebook. Your journey and faith has truly inspired me!
I know Jerry Sittser as I went to Whitworth and took many classes from him. He is a great man of faith and his book is one I give away whenever anyone I know is dealing with grief! I am so glad to hear that you came across it and that it has ministered to you!
God bless!

Jessica said...

Missing you my friend and thankful for the book in your hands. Praying for you both continually.

Tom and Stacia said...

By far the best grief book I've ever read! Glad you got it and appreciate it too . . .
Love you guys!

Diane Swartzentruber said...

Thanks for sharing so openly and the way you are willing to be real in the midst of walking through losing Olive Hope. I am touched and it has been another step in my healing process. I am going to get ahold of this book. I had never heard of it. I continue to pray for Rusty & you daily. I won't forget the legacy that Olive has left in my heart. She has greatly impacted me. Love you,
Diane

Anonymous said...

Praying for you today!

Jen O'Brien (Luceeta's friend)

Ren said...

Thankyou for sharing, i will get a copy of this book! I have discovered the same thing about sorrow and joy. The pictures from your road trip are beautiful. You guys are on my mind and in my prayers

xx Karen from England

Velma Swartz said...

Glad you found the book - best grief book I have read. So honest and real. Blessings to you.

studioGypsy said...

so moving and beautiful, lynette. lovingyous.xo

Cheri said...

Thank you for continuing to post your thoughts and wonderings. It is refreshing and thought provoking. Much love and prayer on your behalf.
cheri and sam (the ones in KS).

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing - think about you often. Glad you are getting some time away.

sooz816 said...

Thank you for sharing this author. I am a friend of Elaine's and recently lost my Mom. Your blog has touched others (even complete strangers) alot more than you may realize. Thank you again for your courage to share.
All the best to you,

Susan

audrey said...

Hi you two,

We still grieve for you both as you process and reflect on all the beautiful memories and times you had with Olive. You guys are such a beautiful picture of marriage.

Dan and I just recently experienced loss this week, as we lost our baby after being pregnant for about 7 weeks. We have been grieving and praying for peace. Praying for renewed joy for other friends (when it seems that everyone is pregnant), praying for confidence (that we will have more kids), and praying for ways that we can demonstrate love for our 2 kids at home.

Thanks for the book recommendation; our pastor is reallly good friends with Jerry Sittser; so i'm sure we will be blessed.