Sunday, March 21, 2010

road trip.

Many of you already know that Rusty and I have been on a road trip this last week. After spending time with friends in Seattle, and Rusty's family in Lynden we started our drive down the Oregon and California coast. Rusty's sister asked a few months ago if we would be willing to drive a couch she had purchased on sale from someone in Washington to her home in Texas. We gladly obliged, thinking of the time it would give us to have a little space, be together, and get some fresh air in a beautiful part of the country. We drove through the redwoods, the Oregan coast, Sonoma/Napa Valley, Yosemite National Park, and saw some of Rusty's aunts and cousins along the way. Currently we are in Phoenix, Arizona spending time with my cousins for a few days before heading onto Texas. We've both found this to be helpful in clearing some of our very confused and cluttered thoughts about our future.

At this point we are hoping on returning to Thailand in June, and prior to that we will be focusing on setting up a non-profit in the States for the foundation we work with in Thailand. This will also provide time for us to have some counseling before returning overseas.

The future has felt very confusing to us, as most doctors are recommending that we return to the States for our next baby since I am at high risk to have another premature baby.  Rusty hopes to one day finish his degree, and I would like more experience working in a hospital Stateside...but at the same time so much of our hearts are intertwined into our work in Thailand and the relationships there--and neither of us feel ready to leave just yet.

So, if you are the praying kind,  please pray for clarity for our future. At this point we are trying to just focus on taking on step at a time, and not get too far ahead of ourselves.

16 comments:

Jen Bontrager said...

Love the photos. Will keep praying for you.

Mom said...

So, so good to hear from you! We've been praying for exactly what you're experiencing! Continue to bask in God's love and care for you. - Rusty called Dad from Mariner's Spring Training this afternoon......wish they could be sharing that time together! Maybe some other year. :)

joeybelle said...

Rusty and Lynette -

I've been praying for you guys - and just wanted to let you know that I specifically prayed that God would give you clarity for your future plans. I've been praying that for the past week! So cool how God works!

Be Blessed!
Geoffrey Dickinson

Troy said...

My friends; may I say that? You fill my heart everyday and thus my prayers. Never in my life I have I felt so pulled to pray and intercede! Thank you for giving me specifics to focus on in our prayers. If we do nothing else, we will pray!

Anonymous said...

Your thoughts and tentative plans sound like common sense, practical purpose and spiritual leading, all wrapped into one. We will continue to pray for clarity and direction.

marilyn

Jo-Ann said...

God bless you as you have this time together to "regroup" and seek God's will for your future. May this be a time of growing together and loving each other more!

followeroftheway said...

Lynette - can I hire you as my photographer for my next road trip? :) Your pictures are awesome and inspirational. Still and always praying for you guys.

JK

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful that God allowed you two to have this time together, to heal and be together. Some couples do not get this after a child's death. God is SO awesome and SO good!

I too will pray for clarity for your future.

Due to loss of a good job in recent years, money is very tight for me, but I would love to help your Akha people.

Blessings to you both. You can count on all of us on here, and others, praying for you.

Marti B.
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Unknown said...

I so happen to be the praying kind...so wanted to let you know I will be praying for clarity for you both.

Your pictures are awesome. I'm so totally jealous (in a nice way) of your travels. Sounds wonderful. I would love a road trip like that right about now.

Hugs!

studioGypsy said...

loveyouguys. praying for you all and your future as well... so glad to see you're able to get some space and alonetime. and what gorgeous photos...as always a master photographer. ;) lovingyous. xo

JohnJennifer said...

Lynette - Ditto on what Troy said. I'm also praying for God to give you a place that feels like "home". I've worked with people with Alzheimers, and most of them ask repeatedly "Please. Take me home." - even one who was in the house in which she had lived for 60yrs. In a brief moment of lucidity, one woman told me "Home isn't a place. It's a way you feel." I pray that God gives you a "home" after your travels so that you can feel grounded and safe and continue to heal. -Jenn/Snowflower in GR, MI (BTW...I found out that I live on the same street as Rusty's sister Stacey...small world!)

Megan said...

LOVE the pics, LOVE you guys. Hoping you have safe travels and that God will reveal what He has in mind for you.

lynette showalter said...

just the kind of healing trip we dreamed/prayed about for the two of you. what beautiful pictures of God's goodness you're seeing as you travel. we will continue to pray that the Lord will confirm in many ways the plans you are coming to. we love you!

Matt Blosser said...

Praying for direction for you both in the next couple weeks and months. I am so glad you are enjoying your time together! I LOVE the pictures you posted. Amazing! Love you both!

Clayre Turner said...

SO jelaous of your road trip. Texas is experiencing very nice weather right now, although we had a freak freeze with snow on Saturday! I may not see you when you get here but my heart is warm thinking you'll be in my state! I am the praying kind and will pray daily for clarity. I know it can't be easy to feel pulled and torn with different passions and dreams. Lots of love to you and know you are teaching me and inspiring me beyond belief.

audrey said...

You two reflect joy and spontaneity. I love your photos! You could go into business. :)