Monday, March 1, 2010

shared tears.

Rusty and I flew to the Northwest for a few weeks to reconnect with friends and family. On the plane ride out we noticed that the women sitting next to us had a bag that looked like it was made in Thailand, so we asked her about it. Turned out she had gotten in Laos on a trip she had made to Southeast Asia two years ago. The conversation continued and eventually led to her asking what we do in Thailand and what we are doing here now, which lead to sharing about Olive. When she heard Olive passed away about a month ago tears started streaming down her face and she said, "I am so sorry. There are no words. I am just so sorry."

Every time that a women has responded this strongly to me after hearing about Olive, i find later that they have experienced some sort a deep personal loss themselves. I waited for a few minutes, then asked her, "have you ever lost a baby?"

More tears.

silence.

and then, "Yes."

more tears.

silence.

"I lost my first son at nine months...he was stillborn. Then two pairs of twins after that at five months."

She lost five babies. FIVE babies.

shared tears.

silence.

more quiet tears.

She shared that eventually she had chosen to adopt after losing her babies, then had two healthy pregnancies following that adoption. She looked to be in her 60's, had already retired from working for the city of Chicago, and still quietly weeped with a fellow stranger whose pain she was all too familiar with.

Grief seems to be understood most easily with simple stories and shared tears.

I've noticed that the quick, predictable and cliche answers tend to cause something in me to cringe the most...though I try to remind myself that people's intentions and motives are usually pure and good.

The day before our flight to Seattle another women  shared with me about losing her child at  20 weeks. After the doctors failed to find a heartbeat they sent her home and gave her a week hoping labor would start on its own.  I asked if that was horrible to carry her baby for one full week knowing that it had already died inside her. Her response was, "No. It was actually a beautiful week." And oddly enough, I could relate.

I remembered the night Olive died, and not wanting to let her go. Not wanting the nurse to walk her down the hall and put her little body in the morgue...all alone.  Rusty and I each took turns rocking her little body and sang the songs we would sing to her every day one last time. The reality that we would never be able to cradle her warm body in her arms...and the thought of her being put into a refrigerator was just too much. And yet there was a strange realization that sweet Olive wasn't in her little body any more and that her spirit had left it's shell behind.

Tonight we talked with a couple in Seattle who aren't able to have children and heard a bit into the pain they have walked through on this unexpected journey of unfulfilled dreams. The grief of what they thought was supposed to be. The painful loss of significant expectations.

A childhood friend of mine who lost three of her babies to miscarriages and is pregnant again carrying her current baby now at almost 28 weeks... and hoping to carrying him/her full-term.

Other friends who over the last few years lost their babies from miscarriages, molar pregnancies, and more stillbirths.

And then there are handfuls of you who I know are battling cancer...and those who have lost your loved ones to it.

Life has turned it's head on some of us and it has turned out to be much different than we ever thought it would be. Many of us have lost big dreams. The answers are missing. Pieces of our hearts are ripped out and can't ever be fully replaced or repaired. And somewhere in the midst of all of our questions and confusion, there is a sense of depth arriving in us that wasn't there before. Life has become much more fragile. Tears come more easily than they used to. Easy answers aren't as comforting as we hoped they might be, and most of it is out of our control.

But somewhere in all of this loss something beautiful is growing in me, and I have seen it in so many of you who have walked down your own unplanned personal losses.  I don't really know how to put it into words yet, but i hope that I/we can find ways to foster it rather than snuff it out.

Put more simply,  I don't want to allow cynicism or bitterness rob me of whatever this "something beautiful" is.

22 comments:

Kathy Beachy said...

That was a very special post. I could just see you guys talking to that Lady and ministering to each other with your stories and tears.

Scott and Shawna said...

Tears continue to flow....
Thanks for sharing.

Heather said...

you are truly amazing.... inspiring. i am thankful to know you. thank you for this special post.

Fern Bontrager said...

What a beautiful post, tears still come, praying for you.

Janelle said...

Thanks for posting this. Still crying with you, and praying for you.

Melissa said...

wow what a beautiful connection on a yucky ol plane! love you, my sweet

Megan said...

LOVE this story. I like how you describe the changes you are going through and how you don't want them to be "snuffed out". Hope you and Rusty are enjoying your stay in WA.

anna said...

Thanks for ministering to me again today. I sensed there was truly a sweet aroma that went up with that mtg of two grieving mothers.
Love you guys!!

Irene said...

It is impossible to walk through life without scars, without holes left in the heart. Without loss. But after almost 65 years of life, I have learned that though I do not know the whys, God is still there and somehow sends people into my life, even if only for a few minutes, whom I can walk side by side with. Without those scars, I could never have understood or been sensitive to the pain that is so prevelant in our world. That is the beauty of God.

Jessica said...

Your insight is absolutely amazing!! Still praying for you guys!!

Ren said...

I just read your post and wanted to share with you a line for a song i wrote earlier today, " Take the pieces of my broken heart, bind them up and make something beautiful, you count every tear, every ache you have felt". Ive been writing bits of poetry, words and now songs to express my feelings and just felt because of what you wrote that i wanted to share it. Also a friend was praying for me yesterday and she said " People pray for God to break their hearts with what breaks his, she thought God was saying that HIS heart broke with what broke mine and that my love for him is so precious because i did not turn away. I felt it was right to put that here for you too, thinking about you and praying.

Karen from England

Kyle said...

you guys are amazing. :)
love, liz

studioGypsy said...

lovely.beautiful.tearsful.somethingbeautiful...xoxoxo

StuckeyBlog said...

This was so touching. I love you, my sweet!

Chrissie said...

I love this Lynette. And I agree. There is something so special about sharing tears and loss with another, it brings a connection and a depth to our lives that would not be there otherwise.I am fighting with you and for you that bitterness and fear will not take away the pain you are feeling but that you will truly get the chance to see even more beauty out of these ashes. You are both so loved,a nd I contine to pray for you daily xx

Unknown said...

Awww...Lynette what a sweet story of your connection with the woman on the flight. You continue to inspire, encourage, & uplift me~and all those around you.

Hope your time there is just what you needed.

tammy said...

It seems that anyone that you cross paths with is blessed in some way. You have such a love for others and such a beautiful way of expressing it. We continue to pray for you. The girls pray that Olive's mommy & daddy's hearts will get happy again.

cara. said...

friend of deb millers. i stillbirthed my son at 40 weeks a few years ago. the ache is definitely still there. however, it's diffused by moments of joy and tempered with hope. holding my daughter now does not replace my loss but i'd be lying if i said she didn't serve in healing it.

you said it perfectly at the end. and i think you're absolutely right. if we can experience such depth of sorrow, we are opened to experience such depth in joy. i believe they walk, in a way, hand in hand. where sorrow creates a crevice in one's heart, it does not fail to fill it with joy.

my heart is with you and your husband as you are grieving your girl. it's a really rough process in the beginning. and i won't tell you the days get light. they just get less heavy.

<3

The Lady of the House said...

I hadn't heard. I am devastated. My thoughts and prayers with you here and her up there.

RosyRose said...

I love this post...such insight!
I love how you are able to touch others in the middle of your own pain! I love you guys!

Shelly said...

Hi Lynette,

A girl I know sent me the link to your blog several weeks ago. My husband and I lots our little boy 9 weeks , Graham William, at 3 1/2 months old to SIDS.The pain has been absolutely unbearable many/most times. We have 2 other children (4 & 2) and we are struggling to sort through the questions we have and accept that we will never have our answers until we get to heaven someday and see our precious Graham again. I have enjoyed reading your posts. They are so encouraging to me right now when my entire life was turned upside down in a moment and changed forever...
I will pray for you as I know the heart of a mother and how deep the pain reaches. Much love...

Shelly Carpenter

Jen said...

I don't know you and I've never commented before, but I've been praying for a long time.

"I don't want to allow cynicism or bitterness rob me of whatever this 'something beautiful' is."

I love this statement. Thank you for sharing your life.