Saturday, October 22, 2011

A little lesson on the cervix.


I've gotten quite a few questions about what it means that my cervix is shortening, so I thought I would give a quick little explanation.

Cervical shortening is the same as efffacement (maybe a more familiar term) or put more simply, thinning. Before you start dilating, your cervix thins out (shortens, or effaces).

Normally the cervix doesn't start making these changes (effacing or shortening) until you are getting closer to your due date, but for people with cervixes like mine (incompetant cervix) they start preparing for labor before they should putting us at risk for premature delivery.

A normal/average cervical length during pregnancy is about 4cm, which is what mine measured at my 22 week appointment. At my 28 week appointment it was down to 2.4 cm.

So, in other terms a 4 cm cervix is 0% effaced. A 2 cm cervix is about 50% effaced, and 100% effacement means there is no cervix left and you are just waiting for the cervix to dilate or open up.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you more than before you started reading.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Lynette,

Good explanations and good graphics! Presumably moving around and walking around (ie not being on bed rest) then simply encourages the cervix to shrink further, just because of the force of gravity? Hence bed rest. Makes perfect sense. I'm so glad it's working so far.
It's a bright and frosty morning in Grand Rapids, after mamy days of rain and clouds, so we're very happy to see the sun.
With ongoing prayers,

Karin Maag
Calvin College

StuckeyBlog said...

Ahhhh! I didn't understand exactly what was happening until your "lesson." Thanks! :)

Cheri said...

I feel duly educated. Thank you. I love cervix pictures.

Melissa said...

so what you're saying is that a cervix is definitely an inside lady penis. see, i was right!

The Slater's said...

so good! I actually learned something and I was walking around with an efaced cervix for 2 months lol :) you're doing great kid is it 30 weeks tomorow? So proud of you!! xx