Friday, February 5, 2010

why so open?

Often I've had people ask me how I've had time to blog over the last four months...or questions as to why I've chosen to be so open about the mess we have been/are walking through.

For me it has been my way to process. Writing has helped me clear my thoughts-- to work through the confusion between my heart and head.

Other times I felt too tired to pray, and I knew that if I put up a post that many of you would be praying. There were days when I felt like God wasn't answering my prayers and hoped that maybe he would answer the prayers of some of you.

Before Olive was born the only people reading the blog were close friends and family. After learning more people were reading along I remember hesitating to write some things so publicly...and some of those things I chose not to write on the blog, but instead in private e-mails. After a while though, I realized that people who know me well will love me no matter what I write, and if others don't understand...it's okay.

One thing we haven't felt during this journey is lonely. So many of you have been praying, watching, listening, and giving in all different ways...and now grieving with us. We have also met many strangers who have walked down painful roads themselves--who lost a baby, had a premature baby with complications, or who have a child with disabilities.  It seems that as they have read the blog and learned about Olive's journey it has brought up fresh memories for them.

It has even seemed to surface the experience of losing of  loved ones for many of you...parents, siblings, and friends. I know there is a difference between losing a parent from a child, but i think the pain of loss has many similarities.

This last Sunday at church someone came up to me with tears in her eyes and told me that her father died seven years ago. She has craved having him close again in a tangible way, but he has never showed up in her dreams all these years...until last week. She said that grieving the loss of little Olive brought back so much pain in the memories of losing her father and for the first time she dreamt he was close to her. She said the dream felt so real. He pressed his cheek onto hers and she could feel his skin...the acne scars and the warmth of his cheek. Even though our losses are different, there was a connection.

And that same connection I have felt with many of you. People have shared stories from their own lives and pasts that we otherwise would have never heard.

So I guess I just wanted to thank-you for walking this journey with us, and those of you who will continue to.

19 comments:

Betsy said...

Lynette & Rusty, your open journey is such a testimony to what I feel God truly desired when he talked about "the church." This life with Christ is something we're all in together, good or bad, joy or sorrow. Jason and I are so grateful have had the opportunity to walk it with you and the other thousands who are joining you on the way. We are forever grateful for the gift that Olive's journey was to us, our spiritual journey, our marriage, and now, our new family. We are loving you from over here in Chicago, and will continue to lift you up.

Jonathan and Jane Bruin said...

Lynette,
I've never had the chance to meet you but grew up in the same church as the Polinders. I just wanted to say THANK YOU for being so open and sharing your pain, your joy and your precious Olive with us. I'm sure it has meant so much to so many people but has really blessed me. So thank you for letting us share and pray with you. Your transparency is a beautiful. Blessings to you and much love!

Jane Bruin

Scott and Shawna said...

Thank you for allowing us the difficult pleasure of joining this journey. We will continue to encourage you, and be encouraged by this Window into your world.

Megan said...

I've felt grateful for your openness and honest feelings, and have admired your strong heart these past four months. I know you have created quite a following of people who followed little Olive's life. People who have been reading your blog feel like they know you because you have shared your life with them. It is important to keep sharing as well because it's a good way to work through the emotions you're wrestling with right now.

jen said...

i'm definitely on this journey with you for the long haul.

Anonymous said...

Rusty/Lynette,

I "met" you when Stacia posted the link to your blog in an email prayer request for you three. I follow another blog, and that person emailed you I believe and commented on one of your posts, who lost a daughter at 17 months of age due to a lung infection. This child had been a 26 week preemie. Her blog is: http://thespohrsaremultiplying.com/

I think it is healing when someone shares their painful journeys with others. I'm glad I came upon this blog and I have been and continue to pray for all of you. I loved your quote from the other post. It is so beautiful and healing.

Thank you again,
Marti B.
Grand Rapids, Michigan

JohnJennifer said...

Lynette - I am 39yrs old, married for 5yrs, haven't had children, and had to have a hysterectomy last Dec. Know that following your blog has even helped someone to grieve never having the opportunity to have children. Your openness has been a blessing, and it has been a privilege to hold you and your family up in prayer during this time. God is the great uniter. Satan is the great divider. You/Olive/your blog have united many of us....and that shows me that it is a God-thing. Continuing to hold you up in prayer and walking together with you but on a different branch of the same journey. Maybe one day our paths will cross, and we will meet.
Jenn/Snowflower in GR, MI

Timothy Miller said...

If you spare the honest but potentially off-putting details you rob the genuine seekers of the most relevant truths to help them on their way.

Keep it up for your soul's health and the help of others!

Paul Bunge said...

The fellowship of suffering is not something one wants or should want to seek. But there is something there which connects us to each other and to God (the suffering servant, the pained and grieving father) like nothing else. THANK YOU for your words.

Paul Bunge

Melissa said...

thanks for letting us go on this journey with you, my loves.

Irene said...

You know how much your honesty meant to me. When you are completely open with all those feelings that have battered your souls, you also validate others who have felt the same way and wondered if they were being un-Christ like since so many seem to have it all together. It's been a privilege and a blessing to continue on this journey with you, there is a long way to go.

Jessica said...

Lynette-
Thank you once again for letting us look in through your window. We all do mourn with you now.
It has really been a blessing to pray for you guys!!
Sending a lot of love your way. Please know I will never stop praying for the hole in your heart.
Jessica

Jo-Ann said...

Thank you for sharing your story -- when life is tough it is so helpful to have others there with you if only to encourage and pray from a distance -- keep sharing -- I'll keep praying!

Troy Remick said...

Dearest Lynette and Rusty,
We have all been so fortunate to accompany you on this journey.....you have allowed us into your innermost private lives and how blessed we are. For our family, getting a glimpse into your faithfulness and love of the Lord has afforded us an opportunity to turn outside ourselves even if for a few moments and focus on you. Thank you for being so honest. I completely understand about your "need" to write to process this extraordinarily difficult walk. Your honesty and heart have shown through. You have allowed us to be vulnerable with you, pray for you and just "be" with you. We are united in Christ with you and will continue to carry you along. Thank you again. Thank you for letting us love you through your daughter.

Anonymous said...

Lynette-- you don't know me, but I have been following your blog for the past few months through a friend of a friend.

Your faith is an inspiration. Even when you struggle with the difficult questions and emotions, you are still an inspiration. Your kindness, compassion, love and desire to follow Christ in everything you do---- all make your journey one that helps others heal or recover from loss and grief in their own lives..... thank you for being so open and for understanding that strangers like me mean no harm--- we want joy for you and will be praying.

marilyn

ShannonAtherton said...

Your openness about your struggle and LOVE for Olive, is what has brought thousands of people to your blog. I am one of them. Thank you again.

studioGypsy said...

thank you for letting us walk the journey with you, loves. xo

Ren said...

Praying for you xxx

tammy said...

I pray that you will continue to feel the love and prayers of all of us.