This morning I woke up to an e-mail in my inbox from our friends Michael and Heather who we lived near and met in Thailand. They moved back to the States last December after some complications with insurance and an emergency back surgery for Heather for a herniated disk. Though they never met Olive, they often asked about her and sincerely cared about a season of life that we never even knew each other in. They are currently living in Grand Rapids, MI, and when I opened my e-mail this morning and saw a photo of Olive's grave with these beautiful hydrangeas next to it the tears started pouring down my cheeks into my cereal bowl for the next 20 minutes.
It's been a while since I've cried Olive tears, so maybe that is why it felt hard to stop them from coming back on and off throughout the day. Living so far away from her grave on a days like her birthday are hard because the first thing I want to do is go and sit with her body, clean her stone, put fresh flowers there and talk to her.
To know that two of our friends go their car and drove two hours on a wet dreary day to find her little graveyard in between the cornfields of northern Indiana meant so much.
I'm realizing that some of the tears I've cried today aren't just sad ones, but grateful tears for the friends and family I have in my life. For those who remembered her birthday this week and wrote or called me just to check in...for friends like Michael and Heather who drove to put flowers on her grave. For my Aunt Anna who also visited her grave with flowers. For those of you who have followed her journey silently and with your prayers...
On Saturday friends and family gathered in Seattle to support "Team Colleen" (Rusty's mother) in the Brain Cancer Research Walk. In Michigan, Rusty's sister Stacia organized a walk for those in the area and the tears returned when I saw that our friends Brad, Jill, and Elizabeth were there to walk along with our cousin Sarah who drove hours to be there. As a family we have been once again overwhelmed by the love and commitment of friends and family to walk alongside us in another journey we never anticipated or wanted to take part in.
So today there were tears mixed with loss, but also gratefulness for friends and family who, even with an ocean in between us, still remind us how much they care. You too are irreplaceable, just like little Olive Hope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
What a beautiful picture. What a blessing good friends and family are... Just wanted to comment to let you know that I still think of you guys often and always think of your Olive when I hear that name. I hope that our children can somehow know how much we love them while they are in Heaven... Love and peace.
As always, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We love you both and consider it an honor to be friends with you.
Dearest Lynette,
Again, you say it so well! As I say too often, quoting from "the fiddler," "One season following another, ladened with happiness and tears." For us it seems like one season after the other, but I remain thankful for at least the balance. Check out Psalm 90:15--"Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us, for as many years as we have seen trouble."
Missing you, Rusty and Olive Hope!
Olive's Papa
I too am thinking of you guys and remembering Olive today. Much love.
Think of you often throughout the days/weeks...praying for you too!
You are blessed with many who love you!! Great to be a part of a special family....and also of a larger Christian family as well.
Oh sweet Lynette~Just wanted to let you know...We're thinking about you & often do. Amazing friends of yours who put those beautiful flowers on Olive's grave. Very very sweet.
Post a Comment