Thursday, September 1, 2011

the good things.

Seems like life as of late has been full or reminders of how broken this world is that we live in. The most comforting thing is the hope that takes us beyond life in this world, that even sickness and pain and death can't take away our hope of what is to come.  In the middle of all of the mess there is still beauty and things that make me smile. Laughter helps keep me functional in the middle of times like these.

I moved down to Bangkok last week to be near the hospital here. Last night as I was walking home a man tried to hit on me until his eyes moved down to my stomach where they got big when he saw my pregnant belly and he suddenly ended the conversation and shuffled on by. I chuckled to myself the rest of the way home. 

Grateful today for the fresh fruit sold on the street...for the diversity all around me here...for enough money to eat...for friends and family whose love remains just as strong despite long distances...for these little jabs and kicks in my belly throughout the day...for the rain to bring relief to the suffocating humidity...for the kids at AYDC in Chiang Rai who have made my life all the more rich...for community in Chiang Rai, and new relationships here in Bangkok...for the chance to hear Colleen's voice on SKYPE last night...for health today....and a comfortable bed tonight.

7 comments:

libby said...

i like this. except when i first read it, i thought you wrote, ' a man tried to HIT me'....oh NO!
its SO GREAT to hear that Colleen is doing a little better every day. THank you Jesus!! Its amazing when we think about the good things, how much that can do for our spirit. You have suffered so much loss, but you have been greatly blessed as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Love you!

Cindy Atherton said...

thank you Lynette, I needed that. I haven't been seeing the "good things". But now as I open my eyes to see them, I overwhelmed with so many good things.

So glad the man didn't continue his "hit"
bahhhaahhhaaa


Love you from afar
Cindy

Jessica said...

Love this post!! All so very true! Thanks for the perspective this morning.

cat said...

grace in small things, yes. so glad their presence is being felt, that they lift you up. so glad for the return of colleen's voice, for the baby's sweet kicks. blessed be...

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've just been reading some of your blog and wanted to comment. I don't know why my mind is more drawn to the troubles of life instead of the beauty in the mess. Hope is the only thing to cling to. Hope and trust that life is full of purpose. Thanks for this reminder. Bless you as you're in BKK. Blessings of health and peace and friends.
-Kristin B. (from China)

Shawna said...

I love you Lynette! I also love the hope for our family as we anticipate the birth of this little one. Give your belly a pat from this Auntie!

The Slater's said...

so cute! Don't you love skype? Maggie loves to "talk" to her GrammyGaga and shout into the camera all about her day and goings on and especially the potty training business lol so glad you can find positives in all of this and so pleased that Bump is doing so well. xx