Last week we went to a workshop on grief with Dr. White and Kathy at Notre Dame, and following the evening we walked to the grotto. We lit a candle for Olive, and Kathy lit a candle for her twin sister who passed away a little over a year ago. There was something so moving about seeing all the candles lit, and the symbols of all those prayers that had been offered up. And then it became even more beautiful when my eyes welled up with tears and the colors of all the flickering flames blurred together. Each flickering flame represented someone's story...someone's prayer for a loved one.
While lighting a candle in honor of Olive I was reminded at what a gift she was to us.
She was a gift, and we were entrusted with her for a little while. Instead of letting anger take over in those moments when I feel like her time was too short, or that her life was full of too much suffering, I just want to remember that simple truth. She was a gift, and I had the privilege of caring for her for the time she was here on earth.
7 comments:
I couldn't have said it better...she was an absolute gift..to you and everyone who had been touched by her.
Simply beautiful, Lynette. Olive will always be your special little girl.
So true. Loving you guys.
I'm sure that was a very special evening. Yes, Olive was a special gift.
Even though I never met Olive in person, I feel like she has a very special place in my heart. She will be missed. Tears came to my eyes as I read what you experienced today. How special! Love you guys!
Lynette, I emailed you a few months back about the grotto. It's one of my favorite places. I'm glad you were able to visit and reflect on the gift that Olive is.
Such A Gift!! Love You Lynette!
Post a Comment