Thursday, June 30, 2011

Big Changes...

Well, I'm officially 13 weeks pregnant, with a due date of January 1, 2012.  Rusty and I are feeling really excited about this little one, and also have some anxiety at the unknowns. We are seeing a high risk doctor at Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok. The first ultrasound went well, and the next one is scheduled for July 19th. Starting at week 17 through week 36 I will be getting weekly injections of 17P (progesterone) in order to prevent premature labor, as well as getting regular scans of my cervix to assess for any changes. These progesterone injections are the new treatment for preventing premature births, and have had very high success rates for cases where there are no other known complications (infections, premature rupture of membranes, congenital abnormalities, multiples..etc).

The current plan is that at 6 months I will be moving down to Bangkok and staying near the hospital until delivery. Rusty will be going back and forth to visit me throughout the pregnancy. Friends and family at home have been worried that I will be lonely in Bangkok, but I think I will be just fine. I will have plenty of work to do with the child sponsorship program, as well as planning weekly english classes for the volunteers who teach for The Sold Project. Besides this I will have all the wonderful nurses who cared for Olive, and a few other friends I've been wanting to connect more with.

I am also starting my masters degree on July 5th through Frontier School of Midwifery and Family Nursing to become a nurse-midwife. The program will be three years long, since I will be doing it part-time. I'm very excited for this next step, and this has been a dream of mine since even before I started nursing school.  After having Olive I wavered quite a bit between possibly wanting to study to become a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner. However, after lots of thought, I feel like this will be a useful degree that I can use in the States or most anywhere in the world.

Last week Rusty was wanting to go and buy a bed for the baby, and I asked him if we could wait until we had a healthy baby to start buying the bigger things. I remember having to pack up all of Olives things and put them in storage, and am wanting to avoid the possibility of that again. I also don't want to brace myself for the worst case scenario, but also know the reality of it all too well. It seems though, that when I talk with others who are pregnant after losing a baby, these thoughts are very common. 

I am feeling more hopeful this time around. I think through everything I've been through I've learned how to trust my own gut instincts more. I now know what premature labor feels like, and have something to compare it to. And ultimately there is only so much that is in my control. I will do my best to take good care of myself and the baby, and after that whatever circumstances come my way I will get through and Jesus will be right there with me.

My nephew Rushton prayed the other night, "And God, MAKE SURE you take good care of Aunt Lynette's baby this time so that the baby can be healthy and strong."

: >)

21 comments:

Jessica said...

Yeah Yeah Yeah!!! I know I already emailed, just wanted to say again how happy and thrilled I am for you two. I will continue to pray for this baby as it grows in your womb:)

faceunveiled said...

OH MY GOSH! I'm sooo happy for you guys! Praying for ZERO complications. And I'm officially reserving your midwifery services for my next baby... assuming there is one :) Love you guys!

Jen Bontrager said...

Congratulations! That is wonderful news! I'll be praying for you and the little one as you come to mind.

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for a healthy, full-term baby and a safe labor and delivery for you and the baby. So very happy for you :)

JohnJennifer said...

PTL! Lots of prayers coming your way. Congratulations!!!! BTW, my word verification is "poder"...like, almost your last name. Is that weird or what?! :)

Marc and Gretchen said...

I will certainly be praying for you guys and for little one!

debbie said...

Congratulations! Sooo happy and excited! We will be praying for you and this new little one.

constance said...

This is so exciting! I am already praying. If you want to meet people, we really love International Church Bangkok http://www.icbangkok.org/.

When are you moving there?

Cottonista said...

Congratulations!! Your due date is my birthday, and it's a wonderful day to be born. I'll be praying for your family.

April said...

Aww! So happy for you guys! I'm sure the entire pregnancy with be a journey of trust, but God will be with you through it!

Ashley said...

Wow Congratulations! We will be praying for you guys during this time and for that sweet little one.

Eric, Joleen, James Samuel, and Emily Grace said...

Rusty and Lynette, we know too well about premature birth ~ our son James was born at 28 weeks and thankfully other then asthma and a recently discovered blood clotting disorder (which he got from me as I had to be on blood thinners throughout all my pregnancies) he has been healthy and fine, a few months behind in development but he seems to be an average four year old (and then some on most days :) After his pre-term delivery and lenthy stay in the hospital we were scared to try again as we'd had 2 previous miscarriages and one after his birth as well. However, Emily Grace who is now two went full term!!! Despite doctors saying I had an 80% chance of placental abuption (which is what happened with James due to a blood clot that had formed between the uterine wall and placenta, Emily was full term and a whopping 9.8 lbs, I seriously think she would've stayed in there forever if she hadn't been born via planned c-section. Anyway all this to say that we will be praying for you, Rusty, and your sweet baby ~ think of Olive often, I think when you've been through pregnancy loss yourself each story sticks with you and touches you deeply as yours and Olive's has touched me. Praying for 40 weeks of blissfull pregnancy for you so you can not only have the joy of bringing your beautiful big baby home, but also so you can "complain" about how HUGE and uncomfortable you are, swore I wouldn't but those last couple weeks I wanted Emily to come so badly, was thankful for the chance to experience full term birth and enjoy the blessing of motherhood. Praying the same for you
Love, The Quinley Family,
P.S. I am a friend of Cindy and Jeff Atherton, and first heard your story from her when she asked all us MOPS moms to pray for you and Olive ~ just so you know I'm not some random person :) I think I've said this before but its been a while since I've written :)

Zoë said...

Congratulations! We will keep you all in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited for you in hearing your news. Yes, your feelings about waiting for buying the bigger things are very common for what you've been through. A pregnancy after losing a baby is a rollercoaster of various emotions at unpredictable times/places. praying for your strength, faith & hope to be renewed each day

Unknown said...

i am crying with joy reading this, and i am praying (which is rare ;). SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS!

plus so excited that you are going to be a nurse midwife. cant wait to nurse with you in the future.

Anonymous said...

This is so exciting! God bless you guys!! Thanks for letting me share in your journey.

Becky said...

Congratulations! I am going to add you to my prayer list.

Beth said...

This is the best news I have heard in a long time. I will pray for you, Rusty, and the little one.

Michelle said...

Congratulations! Will add to our regular prayers for you the request for a healthy little one and an uneventful pregnancy!

Anonymous said...

What great news!

Jacoline said...

I'm thankful for this good news and I'll be praying for a healthy pregnancy and labour! Try to enjoy this miracle & good luck on the new study!