I was giggling to myself as I laid in bed last night thinking about how crazy my dinner conversation tonight would have been if it would have happened in America, yet how normal it is here.
Our friend Ae and her husband Joe recently decided to kill and eat their dog named Daow Luang because he wasn't listening to them very well, didn't seem to love them very much, and ate one neighbor's chicken a day despite the spankings he was given. I loved their little pooch, and he would spend lots of time in front of my house, so you can imagine my hesitation to take part in eating him.
Daow Luang was made into a stir fry dish with lemongrass, garlic, and other herbs. I normally will participate in eating dog, but this was the first dog that I actually knew and loved that was offered for me to eat. I told them I will eat dogs, but not poor little Daow Luang.
Last night they still had some left over Daow Luang, so they brought him over on a dish and Ae, Joe, and Rusty participated. The conversations went onto other funny topics about how I need to brush my hair every day because you can get very sick if you don't brush your hair (something about circulation in your scalp), and that I should stop washing my hair right before I go to bed, because you can get sick from sleeping with wet hair. And also that using fans at night is not good for you, and can give you a cold (even when it's 95 degrees and humid). I giggled and told Ae that I haven't used a brush for a year, and I haven't gotten sick. Also that I usually wash my hair every night before crawling into bed, and that I sleep with my fan on to block out the sound of Rusty's snoring. And that I've been okay thus far.
We both laughed about it for a bit, and she said that's what she has always heard.
I also had a random visitor stop over last night from Burma while we were eating dinner. He heard that I was a nurse, and had some special medicine from a doctor in Burma that he needed me to inject into him. He wanted me to inject it into his shoulder, his lower back, and three other locations. I asked what the medicine was, and he said it is water with gold in it, and that he paid $100 for this tiny vile of it (one month's wages). I told him that I was scared for two reasons...1) I don't even know what I am injecting, or if there is bacteria in it, the side effects, the amount to inject. 2) I'm not trained to give injections just anywhere on the body.
He kept trying to persuade me and over and over, and finally I had to tell him I couldn't do it. That I had other pain medication I could give him, but that I didn't feel comfortable doing this. He understood, but drove away disappointed on his motorbike to find another willing soul to inject this magical medicine in his body.
Before going to bed found another scorpion in the shower drain. This is scorpion number 6 that we've killed in the last few weeks.
What a funny night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
This makes me smile. The concept of killing and eating your dog is DEFINITELY foreign to me. Not in America, for sure. Lol. :)
I love this post! Brought a few chuckles and a smile to my face. As I sit here with my faithful dog by my side...haha! Hmm...dinner?! ;)
Thanks for giving a dose of your reality. Found a card the other day for you and Rusty that I meant to send a year ago. :( Think of you both often! Much love and prayers!
~Geoffrey Dickinson
PS: I love the honesty, rawness and reality in your blogging - something I push/try to strive for.
Have a great day! =)
Thanks for sharing your funny evening...it helped me smile thru what has been a not so fun day. Thanks for the cheer.
Hahhaa. Great post :)
This post is funny!
Ive just been catching up on your other posts and am moved and inspired by your writing and sharing of your heart
Think of you guys often
Karen from England x
You lead a very interesting life Mrs. P! :)
Lynette, I usually check your blog at random but never comment. Don't know why but anyway, this one I couldn't help it. Oh my gosh! I think of my sweet Kattor (our dog) whom I cannot imagine getting pissed off at and then frying her up. That is too funny! I didn't know this - that they do that there. I don't blame you for not participating in the festivities. What does dog taste like anyway? Are different breeds tastier than others? Please expand.... =)
-Renita (Shetler) Detwiler
Post a Comment