Sunday, May 8, 2011

i just don't buy it.

I posted this yesterday, then took it down thinking it was kind of a downer on Mother's Day. I had a few e-mails arrive in my inbox of people wanting to respond to it, so decided to repost it.

I often waver to post thoughts on grief, or my faith journey for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I wonder if people will worry about me, sigh with boredom, or wonder when I will ever get back to my old self. The problem with my grief, is that it comes and goes and comes and goes and the cycle never quite fully retreats. It has affected every area of my life causing almost everything to come into question. Everything feels messy. Emotions are magnified. Marriage holds on by threads, faith gets confusing, and the future seems uncertain. Time continues to pass and it feels easier...little by little. There are chunks of time when it feels like you are functional again and able to enjoy things and have fun. And then you have a day full of reminders...but this again passes and the cycle continues. Through this journey, my relationships and friendships have deepened in  ways I am very grateful for. My relationship with God looks different now than it did 1.5 years ago. I've lost a confidence that "things will work out" or that my deepest prayers will be answered. I haven't lost the confidence that He will sustain me in the hardest of moments, I just worry what those will be, and am thankful that I can't see my own future.

We recently watched the movie "Rabbit Hole" starring Nicole Kidman. The movie about a couple whose son dies in a car accident, and how their world turns upside down. Here is a quote from the film that stuck out to me, talking about the pain of losing a child...

Becca: "Does it ever go away?"
Nat:  "No, I don't think it does. Not for me it hasn't. It has gone on for eleven years...it changes though. 
Becca: "How?"
Nat: "I don't know... the weight of it, I guess. At some point, it becomes bearable. It turns into something that you can crawl out from under and... carry around like a brick in your pocket. And you... you even forget it, for a while. But then you reach in for whatever reason and - there it is. Oh right, that. Which could be aweful - not all the time. It's kinda... [deep breath] not that you'd like it exactly, but it's what you've got instead of your son. So, you carry it around. And uh... it doesn't go away. Which is... 
Becca: Which is what? 
Nat: Fine, actually. 

I like that description...carrying the weight of the memory with you, and even when it feels heavy sometimes, that is what you have left and you will treasure even that.

Over this last year I've followed a two blogs of others (strangers) who have premature babies, who have delivered very early on, around 24 weeks. I've become as obsessed with checking in on these little tiny babies, their prognosis, and the ways the parents are processing the heartache that this journey can bring.

Honestly, a lot of watching the journey has been difficult, especially when the parents are Christians. The phrases that come out over and over like, "Praise God, He is hearing our prayers!" "God has a plan for our little one, and we know that he is going to heal him/her."

All of those phrases bring up lots of stuff inside of me that becomes hard to process. Initially I think thoughts like, "So...if He doesn't answer your prayers, does that mean that He doesn't care? Or He isn't listening? Or that He isn't good?" I am honestly thankful and happy to hear that their little ones are doing well and recovering against all odds, but something in their words makes me cringe. In the same way that something in me would cringe when people would make promises to me that God was going to heal Olive and that she was going to be the smartest little girl in her class. And then I think, how do they process Olive's death?

Some Christians would argue that perhaps I didn't have enough faith--that I didn't believe enough. It's true, I never had the sense that I thought 100% she would be healed in the future. I struggled between the tension of trying not to be in denial about her prognosis, but also realizing that miracles do still happen...and just the hope of a mother that everything will be okay. For some reason, I think God cared and loved Olive with more depth than to not intercede because her mother didn't have enough faith. I just don't buy it. I just don't. He's bigger than that. More complex. More loving.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynette-
I don't know you personally- but I attend church with Stacia and Tom. I have followed your journey from the beginning- my heart breaking for you and your family. I love reading about your honesty. It is so hard to know and trust how God is using our life's journey to shape and mold us to carry out His work. Years from now it will be interesting how He weaves this journey into the fabric of your being. (A newer song I heard on the radio this week is Blessings by Laura Story- put some of our suffering into perspective.) I would not be where I am today or who I am without my experiences growing up. Early on in my life I lost a parent which left me incredibly angry. It took over 10 years for me to put that anger in the right place. Cancer has also been a part of my life more than once- and I must be needed on this earth for something:) Sorry for the long comment- but I wish that you could press the fast forward button just long enough to see what God has instore for you. I heard from someone recently who was facing death and had always been eagerly awaiting his homegoing to see his son who had passed several years before at a young age. This man had a vision in which he died and went to heaven. Upon entering the Kingdom, he felt excited to see his son, but he couldn't keep his eyes off the Throne! God has a purpose and a plan and I hope He reveals it to you soon!
praying for you
Amy

libby said...

Absolutely Lynette. It seems like such a sad concept, that our faith has anything to do with a life, Olive's life.. I just have to believe that the God I trust is beyond requiring my little faith for an outcome. Faith is what we have, its how I can trust and feel close to a God I cannot physically touch. But I don't think Olive's death was based on human faith.

Olive lived such a short life. And God blessed her. And those of us who knew her, and those of us who were changed by her, we got to see a glimpse of something so big, in a tiny little body. I won't tell you this will all make sense ever. But it does make sense that she was here, and that there is a print of her on our hearts. I love the analogy of carrying a brick in your pocket, representative of her memory.

Happy Mother's Day friend! I love you.

Unknown said...

Lynette...
Everything you write is so beautiful. Even now, your words & Olives life are touching all the people who "check" on you through your blog. If people don't love you & your story enough to read your words and see the beauty in them, they shouldn't come to your site. You ARE a mother and nothing in this life is more beautiful than a mothers love. Many Blessing & much love to you & Rusty! XOXOX's The Briskys

Wade Pallister said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wade Pallister said...

Hey Lynette,
I don't buy it either. Don't be afraid to be honest. It is the most healing thing in the world.
Happy Mother's Day.
~pwade

Megan said...

Lynette,
I hope you will never stop writing about how you feel, on both good AND bad days. I find your honesty refreshing, and I appreciate you talking about a subject that is taboo in our society. I also love the brick analogy. Happy Mother's Day.

Betsy said...

I don't buy it either, Lynette. Luckily, our ability to understand does not limit God's sovereignty, nor his goodness. I never want to minimize your pain or loss by saying things like this, but I just want to remind you of what a critical role your sweet Olive played in my faith journey a year and a half ago. I never tell the story of that time in our lives without also telling about Olive. I am so grateful that God WILL work in all things, even our hurt, our heartache, and our questions.

Stacie@HobbitDoor said...

Was thinking about and praying for you on Mother's Day. So glad you decided to post this.
I don't think you will ever be "your old self." The Lord allowed/used Olive changed you. I know I sometimes struggle with this thought when I or someone I love is struggling with really heavy things, "Why do we need/get to learn this 'lesson' or part of God's character?" Praying for you as you navigate the long road of grief.

Melissa said...

if i heard someone say that i would punch them in the mouth. excuse my french, but that's bullshit and i feel angry just thinking about it.

Brooke said...

Amen. Beautifully written, and well put.

anna said...

that is an interesting concept....carrying the weight of the memory with you, because that is what you have. I am always touched by the way you process life. I think your writing reminds me of how I probably could have done a better job at processing my loss. And encourages me to finish some of the loose ends. You are such a gifted writer...you really should be writing a book. I for one would buy it!! I love you girl!! Auntie Ann

mollyjoy said...

thank you for sharing your thoughts so honestly, lynette (and for the fun photos/videos/stories in the surrounding posts. i respect you so deeply and truly, and continue to think of you, rusty and little olive often.

and - i don't buy 'it' either. the pain, suffering, and struggle of many dear ones lead me to believe that god *has* to be more complex than all the boxes people put him in. more loving than we can possibly comprehend.