Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Space.

This blog has been beneficial for me in so many ways since Olive's early arrival. After her birth it was an easy way to keep family and friends up to date on how she was doing with the new drama arriving each day. It was also an avenue for us to feel their love and support from a distance, and to pray for Olive and us when we were at the end of ourselves.

After she passed away in January, it also was a nice place to come and remember her. To write posts sharing the kind things people were doing for us/for her. To try and put words to the depths of the loss we were feeling. 

But recently I've found myself becoming a bit more self-conscious about the blog. Wondering if on my bad days that I post people will be sighing to themselves, "I hope she can start to move on soon." And maybe that's the truth, or maybe I am making it up in my head. There are a few blogs I read everyday...one of them is written by a women who lost her baby a year ago. Her thoughts and reflections have been/are helpful to me. They help me to feel like I'm not going crazy, and that the sadness that comes over me regularly is normal and ok. 

There have been people who have written me numerous times thanking me for my honesty. Telling me that it has often put words to their own loss they have walked through. So I can see good things that can come from sharing the depths of a very personal and painful life experience. It's rare to peer this closely into the life of someone walking through their pain, especially into the pain of a stranger.

So rare, that other parts of me have been wondering about the need for some quiet space. Space to write, but write alone. Space to share this journey with close friends and family. Our counselor has been encouraging this (the need for more privacy in our grieving) and its resonated well with both Rusty and I.

This responsibility that I feel to continue writing is a bit strange too. It's a one way relationship for most of us. Most of the people reading this blog feel that they know me very well (at least from what I've shared on the blog) and yet I don't know anything about many of you (unless we have a relationship) except your name if you comment, or if you share more about yourself in an e-mail. 

I'm not ready to stop writing completely on the blog. I say this because there are things I really love about processing life through words. However, I am going to take a break from sharing those very raw, in-the-moment, difficult days. Mostly because I don't like the self-conscious feelings it leaves me with. And because I want to be able to take the time I need to walk through this season without feeling rushed through it.

So, the blog will probably continue and I don't know what it will look like. Olive will still come up often, because she changed my life so greatly and because she is always on my mind. All I know is that for now, some space seems appropriate.

17 comments:

Brooke said...

I can't imagine sharing as much as you and Rusty have with so many. You have allowed friends, family, and perfect strangers to follow you on your journey, and I feel so priveleged to have been able to be a part of it. The two of you are entitled to carry on in your grieving process in whatever way you choose, and with whomever you choose! Know that regardless, there are so many that are continually thinking and praying for you and your families.
Much love,
Brooke (Hochstetler) Rodman

Shawna Polinder Vanderleest said...

Lynette, everyone who follows your blog wants what is best for you and Rusty as you try to live through the grief and loss of Olive. If the blog is adding any pressure to your life then you should take some time off. I think we all can understand that. We love you and find coming to your blog a little way that we can feel connected to you & to Olive. Those days when I find myself extra sad I am grateful that I can watch Olive's videos and cry. You have shared so much and I appreciate your willingness to do so. It is completely understandable that at this point you might need some "space." We love you guys!

Melissa said...

i love you guys SO much, and i want you to do exactly what you feel is right and best for you REGARDLESS of how you think that may make any of us feel. do you, my loves.

Sarah Partain said...

I do hope you continue to write and process on this blog, as much as you feel comfortable with doing. I do understand, though, the need to write and be free without an audience and to be able to process freely. I started keeping a journal again for that reason...there were things I needed to get out of my head that weren't appropriate for our family blog or a facebook status!
I hope that you are able to be encouraged and healed (a little bit) through this blog and all of the sharing that you have done. I began to feel encouraged the first time I was able to relate to someone whose newborn was in the hospital because of our birth experience. It helped me to realize that our story was not in vain, but that God was using it to minister to others in a similar situation.
Thank you for sharing so much. I look forward to every single post and have enjoyed (for lack of a better word) this blog.
You are still in my prayers, too!

JohnJennifer said...

Lynette-My husband and I have prayed for you all for several months now, and I want you to know how your sharing on the blog has touched another life. When I came to Michigan to attend college, I was battling PTSD and a sort of "survivor" guilt. A very special woman took me under her wing and mentored me for 17 years until I finally...f i n a l l y...could comprehend unconditional love. I continued with my education and career and ended up marrying a man who would learn about unconditional love from me. Meanwhile, my dear mentor was slowly losing her husband to leukemia. When he passed, she looked so frail and empty...nothing like the strong woman who had nurtured me. She also needed about 1yr of space during her grieving process. Not long ago, you wrote on your blog about a book called Grace Disguised, and I passed the info on to her. She has connected with this book at this point in her grief process in such a way that she has read it twice and told many friends about it. She has also discovered that the author grew up in this area, vacationed where she currently lives, attended Hope College and likely had her husband as a professor. He then taught at the same college in WA at which she had earned her BA, and she found that a friend of hers here had worked with him at that college during the time that he lost his family and had attended the memorial service. That woman didn't even know he had written a book. Through your sharing on your blog, I was able to connect someone very dear to me with a resource that has been of great comfort and healing...and she has been able to connect with that author in a variety of special ways. I want you to know that God has worked thru you and your sharing in indirect ways that you will never know about. If He is leading you towards private contemplation at this time....follow...and know that we continue to be connected...thru God's love. Prayers and Blessings to you, Jenn/Snowflower in GR, MI

Anonymous said...

Rusty/Lynette,

You take all the time you need to heal. There is no book or rule that says you have to stop grieving after a certain amount of time. This is in no way similar, but I still miss my parents who died in 2005 and 2007, even though they lived good, long lives, I still miss them. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

I will continue to pray for you when I have my quiet times with Jesus. I encourage you and Rusty to have quiet time with Him as well, and just talk to Him like you talk to each other. It is very healing....

In Him,

Marti B.
Madison Square Church
Grand Rapids, Michigan

joanna said...

that makes sense. i'm grateful for anything you share. take all the space you want and do whatever you need to be released from self-consciousness and doubt. lots of love.
x jo
p.s. you're still on the bedtime prayer list every night.

mollyjoy said...

i respect and admire you so much. may the space be soft and gentle... and exactly what you need for this next season. xo.

Jessica said...

I think we all want what is best for the two of you!! You should take and do what you need but do it knowing that we will not stop praying for you either way!! Love you guys!!

Carolyn Miller said...

Lynette,
it is good to share your need for space. Even as your Mom I have benefited greatly from your writing.

Mary said...

Hi Lynette-
I was listening to Ben and Aaron's show today and thought of you and wondered how you were doing. I'm praying for you and that you find your peace in whatever way you need to-

Peace,
Mary (Formerly of Vegas, now in Portland)

Clayre Turner said...

Lynette, you have been a rock and encouragement to me in the way you share openly about your feelings, your circumstance, and your pain. I want you to know that. But I also want you to know that we as readers expect nothing from you and only want whats best for you and your family. Take space if needed for as long as needed. Just know that you have a lot of love coming your way and a lot of prayers. No one expects you to "get over it." This was hard, harder than I can imagine, and it will be a lifetime of change that not many can understand. I love you and will continue to check in!

Megan said...

Thank you for being so honest. I share Shawna's sentiments completely, and if and when you are ready to continue your blog, I will be here to support you. If you find that privacy helps you to get through the grieving process better, I totally understand that too. Many of those moments are very private. And NEVER worry about how others perceive your grief, it is none of their business. I don't think you can ever "get over" a person or event that changes your life so completely. I used to worry about that and I came to the point where it was like, you know this is where I'm at in the grieving process and people can think what they want. Long story short, I love and support you both. :)

studioGypsy said...

absolutely dear ones. lovingyous. xo

faceunveiled said...

like so many others have said, we truly appreciated your honesty and the ability to have a window into your world, but are so happy to support you in your privacy & healing. May this time be just what you need.

faceunveiled said...

like so many others have said, we truly appreciated your honesty and the ability to have a window into your world, but are so happy to support you in your privacy & healing. May this time be just what you need.

Unknown said...

Totally get that. Loves to you as you work through this, and realize it takes much time. You are loved~both of you. I miss Olive too. Miss her little fighting self. During church today our worship team sang, I have a maker...and I had to just cry for your loss, missing little Olive and so very sad for you both.