Monday, November 21, 2011

Christmas is coming...




As most of your already now, we have been living in Chiang Rai, Thailand for the last 4 years working with the Akha Youth Development Center. One of my roles there is running the child sponsorship program. The students living at our center are either orphans, come from very remote villages (without access to education),  or have other special circumstances.

Every year for Christmas we try to raise some extra money (about $10/kid) , and take each of them shopping to the local market in town and let them pick out something for themselves that they need or have really been wanting. In the past they've used their money to buy a new pair of shoes, a watch, a school bag, etc.

Though the thought of a new pair of shoes might not be very exciting for kids you know in America, for these kiddos it is a super exciting gift, especially when their toes are poking through their current pair.

Over the last few years we've had strangers, and other friends who have said, "If you ever have a special need, please let us know." So, here I am letting you know. I have made a point of not using my blog as a place to raise money for needs or projects at the foundation. However, recently have had a few e-mails from blog readers asking questions about current needs here, so I decided to share about this particular opportunity to give.

If you would like to give any amount of money to the Christmas fund for the kids this year, please e-mail me. All gifts are tax-deductible. Any money raised that goes above the need for Christmas will be used to compensate for around 10 of our other students who still don't have a sponsor.



1 comment:

Carolyn Miller said...

If I am not to late. I will be sending money.