Fears of having another premature baby. Fears of having another child with health problems. The fear of losing a child again.
Fear of realizing that the future is not in my hands.
A little over a week ago Rusty's mother had a stroke, followed by seizures. The fear of losing her swept over each of us. The helplessness of not being in control of the outcome. We were reminded of how fragile life is. The realization that you may lose someone, allows you to start thinking of all that life would be missing with their absence. She continues to recover well, leaving us with much to be grateful for.
I vividly remember a moment walking through the halls at the hospital in South Bend, IN when things were continuing to go wrong with Olive...fluid was still leaking out of her suture wound after her second shunt surgery. I remember the deep fear that came over me when I realized that even in a country with a wonderful medical system that there is only so much that modern medicine can do. The realization setting in, that I could still lose her. And then my prayer that followed
"Jesus, I know I told you to care for her in the best way...whether that be with you in heaven, or leaving her in my care on earth. But I've changed my mind. Please don't take her from me. I'm far too attached. Please let me keep her."I remember the fear in my heart as I lie in bed the night before she died. The low grade fever, the fussiness, and the suture wound that continued to leak. I went to pump my milk at 1 am that night and a nurse was rocking her. My heart sunk when I saw her...something just wasn't right, and I asked the nurse to contact the doctor.
I remember each minute that passed in the next day.
The fear that overtook me when it was clear she had an infection.
The first time the nurses had to resuscitate her when I went down for an MRI with my aunt Anne and Olive.
I remember the moment of accepting that Olive wasn't going to make it.
Letting go of the hope that she would get through this.
The endless tears.
The deep aching in my fully broken heart.
Weeping over her little body that eventually grew cold in my arms.
But even after Olive left me, and my worst fears became reality, I never once regretted being chosen to be her mother. We were made for each other, and the things she taught me have changed me in ways I probably haven't even fully figured out. I never regret falling in love with her.
And I suppose I won't ever regret falling in love with another child, even if I were to lose them.
That doesn't take away my fears, but it helps.


14 comments:
Very Special thoughts, Lynette.
Makes the tears come...You've had to walk through some of those very deepest fears in a parent's heart, and see them become reality. Such an exception to how it "normally" works out. It's definitely impacted my perception of "what if". "What if" feels not nearly as improbable as it used to; just a chance's turn away. I doubt that facing such fear as you have would make you "braver". Instead you now must look at life with eyes much wider open than you would wish. I hope it makes the sweet things sweeter as they come...love you.
A mothers love is something that can never be explained only felt!! And that is what you are describing!! You are one of the best moms I have ever known! Prayers
You make me proud to have you as my niece!! You have experienced so much hurt and still you have continued to give out to others. Your thoughts are so honest and profound and brought my tears again!
Beautiful! You are such a great mom.
I can't even begin to tell you how much it means that you continue to share your beautiful heart wtih us. Even sitting here in tears, I too, am SO very grateful for Olive and the way God used her in our faith journey. Still holding you close in prayer...
I feel like I could say ditto to everyone. :) Love you so much!
In grief, nothing "stays put." One keeps emerging from a phase, but it always recurs. Round and round. Everything repeats. Am I going in circles, or dare I hope that this is a spiral? But if it is a spiral, am I going up or down in it? "No one knows the tears still inside. People think it's all past and that you are better. Every once and a while we think and hope and pray that things are better too. But then in one instance the pain floods back, the bottom falls out and we falllll. And once again the things aren't better, our loved one is gone and we cry alone." How long will it last?-- we ask?? I feel His breath on my face--as He answers--as long as it takes. Love you much, the loss of a child is loosing part of your soul and I grieve with you. Ginger
Ah Lynette- this was heartbreakingly beautiful. I hope this insight and realization gives your heart as much peace as it can. xox
It's never in vain to love.... She was known and loved by Jesus, and she's in his arms right now. The very same arms that holds you every day. She also was loved by you, she had a name, she was a perfect and one of a kind person.... The pain is hard to carry, but it's not in vain, because it means that she exsisted, a little while, with you. And it's worth it.
With love
Cecilia
sometimes the pain feels too much when I see you, my daughter suffering, but I am reminded of how deeply you love, and I am grateful. You say it in a way that many people can feel the pain with you. I'm crying as I read.
I relate. We pray, but don't have guarantees. I hate it. But what can we do?
Looking forward to the grand reunion when this veil of tears is past. Until then...I love you and I'm on your team.
your words are so honest and beautiful. to love, to be hurt, to fear the future.
I read a quote today that I liked.
'The greedy one gathered all the cherries, while the simple one tasted all the cherries in one'.
This doesn't exactly relate to Olive, but it made me think of how much she meant to me. Sadly it wasn't about quantity with Olive, I wish we had so much more time with her, but I felt like I tasted so much life through her.
Olive was much more than a cherry, and of course it was not greedy to want her here with you for a long lifetime. Nonetheless, she had such an incredible impact, in her little sweet body, with her patient spirit, and her short time on this side.
I think you are right, mother and daughter. You were made for each other.
Post a Comment