I remember the bitter cold wind and snow falling as we buried her little body.
We were miserably cold, as we stood around her grave, and completely brokenhearted.
Close friends and family flew from across the country to show us their love, and honor her life.
Close friends and family flew from across the country to show us their love, and honor her life.
I remembering worrying about how we would pick up the pieces of our broken selves and put them back together. I think we are still trying to figure out how to do that.
The night she died, I slept with so much relief.
I slept no longer worrying that she would stop breathing during the night, be uncomfortable, get another infection, or have another shunt complication.
At Olive's memorial service Pastor Koeman said, "If we could only see her now, we wouldn't wish her back." Those words help me on days like today.
Of course we wish none of it would have turned out like this. Of course we wish we could take back everything we have learned and all the ways we have grown for a healthy little Olive Hope. But when reality sets in, I am thankful she is no longer suffering. Thankful she didn't spent this year undergoing surgery after surgery.
Of course that doesn't take away the loss.
But I don't think I ever want this loss to fully go away.
I never want to forget her.
I'm thankful to those of you who still remember her life, her big eyes, and her feisty little spirit.



24 comments:
What powerful words from your pastor. Made me say 'wow' out loud.
I remember reading about where to send flowers. My husband and I had just returned from an overnight away before out second baby was born. I had gone from so much joy to so much sorrow. I was waiting on pins and needles everyday for an update on Olive. When I read the newest post, about sending flowers, I gasped and went back. I read it all and sat on the couch, crying. I was so sad for you all to go thru all that only to lose her. But your pastor's words comforted me and am glad they are comforting to you. I can't wait to meet her someday, and see her perfect head, with no scars or bumps. Thank you again for sharing your journey. Xo
Love you.
Even though I never met Olive, I will remember her.
thanks for sharing with us, love. we will never ever forget Olive.
Love you so much.
My heart breaks for you and I have been praying for you. For peace. For comfort. For God to hold you in the palm of his hand when you think you can no longer bear your grief.
Even though I may have hurt you with some of my words that were supposed to be well intended, for which I profusely apologize, I too will never forget Olive Hope. I still think of you and pray for you.
Marti B.
Grand Rapids, MI
I LOVE that photo of Olive. Made me smile!
Although I never met her I can just imagine her feisty little personality! The picture really shows her personality! I pray for you often Lynette, you will never forget her so never have that fear. I LOVE this picture of her! LOVE IT!
I am so glad I got to meet Olive, and will always remember her.
Fern Bontrager
I love you much friends. Olive still holds a special place in my heart. I think of you all and her often. Lifting you up in prayer.....
You are right, I'm not sure how we could could forget your little Olive. Love the picture and Love you guys!
How could I ever forget our Sweet, sweet baby!!
we won't forget your sweet little Olive, and we will keep praying for you both as well...
Such a little monkey. Although I don't know you in person, Olive and her short life has touched mine. I am praying for you......
Missing Olive with you...can't believe it's already been a year. We're here for you - love the crap out of you guys.
Love those BIG eyes! She will always be remembered. I love those words of Pastor Koeman.
I feel humbled by the words that are written by the heartbroken. You did not choose the path, but God was with you and is ministering through you. Just before I read this post I read one by my daughter who also lost a child. I learn so much from both of you. God bless you & continue to uphold you. Sincerely, Ruby Bontrager
blessings on the two of you. Think of you all often.
I remember very vividly that grave side service. Your heart aching cry~you & Rusty loved her so fully and completely. Giving all you had. I admire that.
She was a very special little lady. I thank you for sharing your journey with us, even now.
Hello Lynette,
I have thought of you guys alot over christmas and leading up to this first full year, you are in my prayers and thoughts often
With much love
Karen from England
I'm in awe over how you have walked your journey in the grace of God. It leaves us wondering if we would have the same courage. Love and peace to you!
I will remember. My heart broke for your loss. Heaven seems closer when we have touched someone who now skips and smells daisies there. Love you!
Post a Comment