![]() |
| photo from google images. |
Last weekend we celebrated one of my favorite Thai holidays, Loy Kratong. During this full moon festival, the sky is filled with glowing lanterns and the rivers are glistening with floating Kratongs. Kratongs are handcrafted miniature rafts made from banana leaves that are released in a river. Floating on the little raft you will find candles, incense, coins, flowers, food, and sometimes betel nuts.
The kratong is a symbol of thankfulness to the water goddess, Phra Mae Khongkha, for all she has provided. Since the festival symbolizes renewal, finger nails and hair are sometimes included on the kratong as a symbol if spiritual rebirth. Before releasing the kratong, the Thais will pray and ask forgiveness from the water goddess for polluting the water, as well as a prayer of good luck for entering into the coming year. And always, if you look a little farther down the river, you will see little boys swimming around snatching the coins off every floating kratong.
Meanwhile, up above, the sky is filled with floating lanterns. The Thais release these lanterns from temples, near the rivers, or from home with hopes that they will bring good luck as they drift out of view taking their misfortunes with them.
In the midst of all of the visual beauty you need to watch out for all the fireworks flying past your head, often set off by little kids, or adults who have had quite a bit to drink.
I bought some lanterns for the kids at the Akha Youth Development Center this year, and they LOVED it.
Here are some photos from the festival this year...











7 comments:
These photos are beautiful Lynette! Thanks so much so sharing them and a little bit of Thai culture.
These photos are amazing.
What a great idea!!! I bet the kids LOVED it! I like the photo of all the boys letting the lantern go, what cuties.
Beautiful! You did an AWESOME job on the photos! I stole some ;) xo
I have never heard of that holiday or the floating lanterns....what great pictures.
what perfectly beautiful lights! :)
Oh my gosh... Just like on the movie Tangled. And all this time I thought that was just something Disney made up! I have told my husband this has just been added to my bucket list! (by the way I have read your blog for a long time. I grew up in NM with the Hartog family.)
Post a Comment