Wednesday, August 4, 2010

the waves of grief.

We are grateful to be back here in Thailand, connecting with relationships here, learning more language, and having a strong sense of purpose. At times, this last year feels so distant, and on other days, everything rushes back. A relative of ours who lost her son a few years ago, wrote an e-mail recently that explained the journey of grief so well...

"The journey of grief is a very long, hard journey. I often describe my grief as the ocean---Some days the waves are so calm and far away & other days they are so very, very strong."

Today was one of those days when the waves felt "so very, very strong," and the memories of Olive so raw and fresh. I've avoided going to the hospital in Chiang Rai yet, mostly because I know that it will bring up so much emotion and so many memories. Today I watched videos of Olive that I haven't watched in about three months, and it did just what I suspected...surfaced the deepest emotions inside of me.

Almost every other day,  I run into someone who asks me how my daughter is doing--and hasn't heard that Olive died. It's in those interactions that I try my best to push down my emotions to keep the conversation comfortable for the other person, but the frustrating things about tears is that they often come even when I try to push them away. Those conversations usually end with a shuffle of the other person patting me on the back and saying, "It's okay, you'll have another baby someday."

Being back has brought with it many distractions which has also felt healthy in other ways. Not having all of our time focused on ourselves and Olive has helped with the healing process, but we are also realizing the importance of giving ourselves those spaces to grieve, and not to live in denial.

Mostly though we just miss her, and are realizing how deep our love was/is for this little life. We are slowly realizing just how much she has changed us.

13 comments:

StuckeyBlog said...

Thanks for sharing where you're at. This brings tears to my eyes. I love you, Lynnie.

Jessica said...

Praying that you have distractions when you need them and space and time to grieve when it is needed.
Always Praying!
Jess

Matt Blosser said...

Thanks for sharing Lynette! We love you guys dearly and pray for & think of you daily. Hugs sent your way...love you!

Kathy Beachy said...

Yes, good to hear from you. I have thought of you often as I care for Wil's Mom. She struggles each day in the afternoon, the time that Daudy used to come visit her. I am often at loss with how I can best help her.

Whenever she is in out kitchen, she see's Olive's picture and talks about how cute of a baby she is and how bad she feels for you.

Carolyn Miller said...

Crying for you. How she has changed all of us. Don't forget to give our love to the nurses at Chaing Rai when you go to see them.

Anonymous said...

You are still in my thoughts and prayers! Don't ever be afraid to shed those tears - they are tears of great love and a great loss...

studioGypsy said...

oh crying with you now. lovingyous. xo

Becky said...

How you must long to have Olive with you - long to hold her in your arms. She touched many lives. Praying that you trust His heart, even when those answers here on earth He does not impart.

faceunveiled said...

Still thinking of you guys and praying for you often!

lain and ryan said...

Thanks for sharing Loonie. People are always asking about you guys, and commenting on how precious Olive is on the picture I have on the fridge. Love love love you guys.

Campbell Family said...

Rusty,
Can you send me your email?
Kurt Campbell

libby said...

I cannot even imagine Lynette. Days when your memories flood in, memories you don't want to forget of the sweetest little peanut, but memories that remind you of the most difficult time of your life. Olive's life, so short but so big. She changed us all. The nurses will be so happy to see you when you and Sutep choose to visit, but take your time, there is no rush. I love you guys. I miss you.

Megan said...

There will always be certain things that will bring the grief to the surface all over again. And you just have to know that it's okay and it's part of the healing process. It's never easy to talk about with others in a casual conversation. I have just recently come to terms about sharing that I actually have two children, and one is in Heaven. Before, I was always concerned about making others uncomfortable, because most people are at a loss for what to say to you. I also really dreaded when they would give it an "oh well, you can always have more kids attitude". Go to the hospital only when you feel ready to do so. Sorry this is so long but your entries always touch my heart. Much love to you and Rusty.