Friday, August 13, 2010

Tears.

Drops of emotions much too strong to be expressed through words.

You come at the most inopportune times.

I’ve learned ways to hide you from the world when I don’t want to make others feel uncomfortable--but sometimes your strength is greater than mine and you roll down my cheeks and allow them to see right into my heart.

Mostly though, you join to me late at night when I’m laying in my bed wishing she was next to me longing to find her scent lingering on her belongings.

You escape out of the corner of my eyes when reality sets in that she is never coming back.

You run over my lips leaving a salty trail behind as her memories overwhelm me.

The last hours we had together.

The shape of her mouth when she cried.

The strong grip of her fist around my index finger.

Her wide captivating eyes, full of life.

Lying skin-to-skin, fast asleep, feeling her breath on my chest.

In October 2009 a few weeks after Olive’s birth in Chiang Rai, our close friend Blah shared a dream with me that she had about Olive. We talked about this dream often during Olive's life, wondering if this would become her future.


In the dream it was a beautiful summer day and Blah was out in her front yard hanging laundry out to dry. Little Olive came hobbling down the hill at the hostel calling out her name, speaking perfect Akha. She was beautiful with curls, but had a limp in her walk. She ran up to Blah (maybe about three years old) and jumped on her back and continued talking with her while they finished up with the laundry.
You creep down my cheeks when I think about the loss of the dreams I had for her.

The simple dreams of being her mother. Of changing her diaper in the middle of the night…waking up to soothe her…to feed her…to hold her close and rock her to sleep.

21 comments:

Tom and Stacia said...

sweet, sweet Lynette . . . weeping with you as you grieve Olive Hope and the many dreams we all had for her . . . wishing I could hug you right now.
Love,
Stac

Heather said...

thank you lynette. your words for olive are precious and remind me of what to be thankful for. i love you!! praying and weeping for you now!

Denise P said...

Love you!

Clayre Turner said...

Lifted up a prayer for yall this morning. I am so sorry for the weight of all the grief. I ache for you as you miss her.

Kathy Beachy said...

Much love my dear.

pastor mark said...

prayers for you both. Give my love to Rusty.

Anonymous said...

I think of you often. Hugs.

Zoë said...

We are still praying for you all.
The Speer's in Texas

StuckeyBlog said...

Thank you for writing. This brings so many tears. I've been thinking about you so much lately. I wish there was something I could do. If there is, please let me know. I love you!!

Janelle said...

I'm so sorry Lynette. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Lynette, thanks for sharing. I am crying with you and Rusty. Hugs and prayers for you.

Fern Bontrager

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

Lynette,
Your writing is so beautiful. I ache for you and the loss that you live with...what a beautiful imprint little Olive has left in your heart. Although she is not physically there with you, your mother's heart for her is still so evident, sweet and tender. Praying for you throughout the days and weeks to come.

Megan said...

I am aching and grieving with you, half a world away.

Shawna said...

Oh Lynette, I just can barely imagine your pain. I wish so desperately that the dreams... lives simple pleasures could be shared daily with your precious Olive. I love you & Rusty so much. I'm so sorry for the relentless grief you carry with you.

studioGypsy said...

xxxoooo

Jill Janzen said...

beautiful words Lynette. I've been thinking of you guys often and pray that you're finding small glimpses of hope and healing each day back in Thailand. May you find a sweet peace from our heavenly Father today.

Ren said...

Dearest Lynette,

xoxoxoxo

Karen from England

Carolyn Miller said...

your words are so healing to me. You are loved everyday across the miles. Miss you from Mama Carol

libby said...

i wish you were changing Olive's diaper in the middle of the night... i wish Olive would get passed around in Huisan church....she was so loved. i am so sorry. i miss you and rusty, lots.

Unknown said...

Lynette, so sorry & heartbroken for you. I wish things could have been so different for you, Rusty & your little sweet Olive.