Yesterday we were moving lots of dressers out of the back room in the girls dorm when we came across a batch of Tukay eggs that were all hatched. Each egg was about half the size of a golf ball. After seeing the eggs, we realized that our fun was just beginning, and that the male and female were close by as well.
In Thailand, all of our Thai friends are terrified of these large lizards called "Tukays", and have told us that if they bite you and latch on, that they never let go. If THEY are afraid of them, of course translates into making us foreigners afraid of them as well. Here is a photo of them to give you an idea of what they look like.
Over the last six months, these lizards have been in high demand. Malaysian scientists have been buying them for over $1,000 each, trying to find a cure for HIV.
Not too long after we found the eggs, we found a big pile of poop, telling us we had at least one nearby. We found the mother behind a dresser, ready to fight with her mouth wide open like the photo above. Rusty had a stick in his hand and was yelling for me to go and get Gee (our Akha friend who can do anything). Before Gee could arrive, the protective mother leaped off the wall right on Rusty's crotch trying to attack him and protect her babies. Rusty panicked and hit the mother tukay with the stick in his hand and send her tail flying off onto the ground. The rest of us were screaming and running around trying to get some distance from it. The tail mind you, continued squirming around on the ground for the next 5 minutes, and the mama slowly died. I kind of felt like we had just killed Bambi's mother, but my hatred for amphibians quickly returned, reminding me that her babies will do just fine without her. Lizards don't breastfeed after all. : >)
Gee finally showed up, disappointed to see the tail flapping around on the floor, but full of laughter at all of the panic in the room. Rusty, Gee, and Kurt worked together and successfully caught the male lizard, but he ended up being too small for any good money.
![]() |
| Our poor little male tukay. |
On my way back to my house I came across the biggest earthworm that I've ever seen, so I thought I would take a little photo of him too.





16 comments:
This pretty much made my entire weekend.
Ew!!! Bless your heart!! My skin is crawling as I type.
Lol! I was so seeing Rusty on the attack!
That Tukay story made me laugh, just picturing it. And that earthworm is El Disgustingo. Blechhhh.
Laughing out loud, oh boy! Glad everyone is ok - everyone except the mother I guess, perhaps the babies will make you some money?
Happy water festival!
Disgusting! If that would have been there when I was, you would have heard me screaming for miles!
I WISH I WAS THERE!!!!! hilarious!
I think I just shocked my entire office with my gasp as I read about Rusty close call!
I am not a fan of creepy, crawlys either, so I can honestly say I am glad you are all OK. And I looking forward to hearing this new Polinder story for years to come!
a big lizard attacking Rusty's crotch... that is the most awesome thing I have heard for a long while!
yes, too bad you didn't capture this saga on video. Not only would that have been fun for your personal enjoyment, but you might have won some money on funniest home videos! :)
hahahahahahha
Oh my gosh! That's a great story! There have been several moments when Paul and I were tempted to overcome our creepy crawlies to try and catch a $1000 dukay! You guys actually did it! You rock!
best story ever
This was good for the best laugh I've had all week. Can only imagine the look on Rusty's face being very similar to that of the snake in our basement, only worse.
Ha! I wish I could have been there (a safe distance away)! That pic of the Tokay was great
Post a Comment