Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Olive Hope Polinder...born on 09/25/2009...2.8 pounds.








Dear loved ones,

Yesterday was such a special day. We were both able to spend hours holding little Olive on our chests spending time talking to her and singing over her, We have been overwhelmed by the e-mails, phone calls, facebook messages, and visitors. We are being held up by the prayers of so many we know and love, and also by many who have heard the news who we don't even know personally.

Today has been like each day so far since little Olive Hope has arrived...filled with moments of joy, moments of fear, moments of uncertainty, sadness, hope and thankfulness.

This morning she had an ultrasound done to assess the level of intracranial hemorrhage that she had the other night. There are four levels--one being the least severe with little long term complications and four being the most serious and highest risk of long term complications. Olive had a level four intracranial hemorrhage. The doctors are telling us that if she makes it she will certainly have serious cognitive and motor damage..(mentally handicapped, cerebral palsy...and the list could go on). There is also a high risk of blindness due to the high concentrations of oxygen they have had to keep her on. She is also still anemic so she is getting blood transfusions. And this morning she was very jaundiced so we had to keep her under a photo-therapy light most of the day. Because of her brain damage she is no longer able to blink her little eyes. They remain open ALL the time unless we reach and blink them for her. They only have her on IV so far and say she can't have any breast milk until they hear bowel sounds. My milk has come in, so as of now I have been pumping and storing it in the freezer.

Our hearts are aching for this little one. We are willing and ready to care for a little girl with handicaps if Jesus chooses to give her to us. Part of us is also hoping and longing to see a miracle. Another part of us feels very afraid...of all the unknowns to come. She has had every possible complication and to the most severe level thus far...and yet there is something in me that keeps holding onto some sort of hope. And another part of me that doesn't want her little body to suffer any longer. Thoughts are going and coming in all directions.

We have been asked today if we want them to continue aggressive treatment measures, or if we would like to stop those treatments and simply let her go. Yesterday I thought we were feeling ready to let her go because of how much misery she was going through...and now we have been through two days of holding her and seeing her vital signs increase...and I'm not ready yet to let her go.

All this to say...decision making has felt difficult, but today has been a day when I am going to bed with hope for life for this little one...

And just enough strength to make it through this day by threads. And exhausted.

Jesus has indeed been drawing us closer and closer to Him through this journey...our only place to find any hope in this circumstance.

We can feel your love and support all around us.

Love,

Lynette





12 comments:

Matt said...

I've been hijacking Monica's FB account for updates. I'll leave my comment here in blog land. We're thinking about you guys often and praying for you.

Willis said...

I'm an old friend of Rusty's and I just wanted to let you know my heart is aching with you...and we are praying for your precious Olive...and for your hearts and the hard decisions you may have to make.

What you both are doing in Thailand is amazing, and the Lord is obviously working through you.
Praying continually,
Lisa (Zeilstra) Willis

manda said...

dear rusty and lynette...

just wanted you to know that all day while i was at work, i prayed little prayers for the two of you and your precious little olive. i'm sure there is so much going through your heads and hearts and many difficult decisions to be made. i pray that you would feel Jesus beside you through it all.

thinking, praying and hoping for you...

amanda martens (lead a team to thailand with rachel mc..if you don't remember me)

Mel said...

Like so many others I can't stop thinking of you. You must be so tired. I don't even know what to say. I care for you both so much, and my heart aches for you. This is the craziest ride into parenthood I could ever imagine. Peace and clarity to you.

Deb said...

Rusty and Lynette--

I have been following Olive's story through your blog, Melody's, facebook, etc. I am praying for you every day--for little Olive Hope that she would not feel fear or suffering, for you two for strength, wisdom and peace whatever may come.

Deep peace like the running water.
Deb Miller

Unknown said...

Rusty, Lynette, and Olive-

We continue to pray for your little miracle girl. We love her so much already. As we read your updates and see the pictures we are so thankful we can pray with you as the body of Christ.

Love Missy & Matt

Stephanie said...

I don't know you nor you know me but I am here praying for you and your little Olive. Blessings and Peace to you, Stephanie

Dena said...

Dearest Rusty and Lynette, I have been a friend of Sister Shawna since El Paso and have carried you both in my hearts ever since. I have shared your journey to Thailand and have been updated on your many adventures. I have been with you moment by moment since Olive's arrival and have kept you constantly in my prayers. I am in love with your little girl. If there was anything I could possibly do; all my thoughts and prayers and wishes are coming from Arizona. God bless you and your sweet girl.

Nat said...

Lynette, I have seen your updates on Facebook and now on the blog. When I saw Olive came at 28.5 weeks my heart stopped for all of you. I immediately began praying for you, Rusty, and Olive. I will continue to pray for strength for all of you whatever God's will may be. Much Love, Natalie

Anonymous said...

Rusty & Lynette ~ Our prayers are with you for God's will to be done!!!!! We pray for strength & healing in Jesus Holy Name!!!! Love you all!

heather said...

Hi Lynette,
I don't know you, and you don't know me. I live in CA and saw a freind join your Facebook prayer page for your sweet little Olive Hope.
I want to let you know that I am praying, and asking my friends to pray for you all. May you feel God's presence, and Olive's little body be restored to full health.
Prayerfully,
Heather-
Costa Mesa, CA

Sarah Partain said...

Dear Rusty and Lynnette,
I am friends with Amanda Vander Giessen and found your blog through hers. I want you to know that we will join the others in lifting you up in prayer.
Our son Amos was born at 30 weeks and also had an IVH--his was a grade 3. He went on to have a temporary shunt placed and then received a VP shunt when he was big enough. I know that you all face so many more negative outcomes from Olive's IVH than we did, but I know the feeling of finding out bad news over and over and of all of the uncertainty for the future and the fear that it brings. When I look back on Amos' records and read that he may have neurological damage and may need therapy, I am so thankful that the outcomes weren't that bad, and that actually, he's doing great! So I pray that for you all, that Olive would grow stronger and more healthy, that she would gain weight steadily, that her brain would heal and that she would have little damage as possible. For you, I pray that God would continue to give you peace, wisdom, strength and comfort as you take each day as it comes, and that you would be able to care for Olive as best as possible. I pray too, that she would be able to be home with you soon, and that she would remain healthy. Above all, God is faithful and will carry you through this, as he's done already.
--Sarah Partain