Monday, March 30, 2009

A traditional Akha Wedding Ceremony.








One of the students at the Akha Youth Development Center (Amporn Saepah) recently quit her studies and got married this last February. Her wedding was traditional Akha style, and over a period of three days she sat through various traditions and ceremonies. One of them being where everyone hurls pig poop at her (the bride) and she is unable to clean up before going to bed that night. The wedding took place in her future husbands village at his home. After she marries she will move in with her husbands family and be expected to take care of this family (cooking, farming, cleaning...etc). One of the specialties was the raw pork, which I kindly avoided. 




























5 comments:

anna said...

well now........I guess that would be LOVE! moving in and taking on all that work!

Matt said...

Can you elaborate on the significance of the poop hurling (if there is any)?

Kathy Beachy said...

Yes, I think that poop hurling stuff is rather far out. Is it birth control or what?

Deb said...

Great photos! Thanks for showing us a part of the world we would otherwise never see.

I've heard of people FEELING like poop right before they get married, but....

Melissa said...

you know, people threw poop at me before my wedding ... it's good to know that it has some sort of cultural significance.