








Last weekend I went with some of the villagers for a thanksgiving celebration. After an extremely bumpy and long ride to this village we arrived. The roads to this particular village are inaccessible during rainy season because they are easily washed out and very steep at different parts of them, but an adventure all the while. I wish I could describe to you the beauty of the landscape as you drive higher and higher into the mountains and farther from the conveniences of the lowland.
Upon arriving we had breakfast at the headman's house which consisted of fried pork, rice wrapped in banana leaves, soup, peanuts, and coke. Following eating we walked up to the church which was decorated with crops they had brought in from their fields (tomatoes, garlic, ginger, melons, squash, peppers, onions..etc) as well as a few chickens. Following the service we all ate another big meal together standing around tables covered with banana leaves and an assortment of food. The specialty of the day was raw pork. I was very impressed with the generosity of these villagers who had welcomed their neighboring Lisu village to join them for the service and for the meal. Though their own resources were limited, they generously shared what they had with their guests.


4 comments:
Raw pork. Wow. :) That is a delicacy I don't believe I have yet to enjoy...
I would love to see that landscape you were describing. I bet it would be beautiful.
Lynette, by the way, I have not been able to comment on your last post because I am still too traumatized by that last picture. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry...that last picture is quite disturbing! The worst part was when I showed it to the villagers they had seen people with the same thing! I think if that happened to me I would just freak out and knock my head up against a wall until I became unconscious.
lol -- and these are the comments that make my heart hurt because i miss you so much!
Stacia
What beautiful people! I love to see what you are experiencing! Post every day okay? No pressure!
Are you doing okay? We pray for you guys lots! The only way we can get our arms around you right now!
Post a Comment